Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding Wort to the Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
jayhoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding Wort to the Boil

I am in the process of gathering my gear for my first AG (probably this spring). My boil kettle is a 30qt turkey fryer pot. I think this will do me well for a good bit of the beers I want to make, but I was wondering about the times where I may need to collect a larger volume of wort from my MLT. Is there anything wrong with collecting say 6.5 gallons of wort in my kettle and a couple more gallons in a second pot? Once the volume in the kettle had gone down due to evaporation I'd top up with the remaining wort and continue to boil off the water till I hit my mark of 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

That'll work fine. It may take a few times before you get the timing down so you know when to add your bittering hops, i.e. when you have 60 minutes left. My guess is you could probably start the clock after you add the extra volume if that brings you back up to ~6.5 gal.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhoz
I am in the process of gathering my gear for my first AG (probably this spring). My boil kettle is a 30qt turkey fryer pot. I think this will do me well for a good bit of the beers I want to make, but I was wondering about the times where I may need to collect a larger volume of wort from my MLT. Is there anything wrong with collecting say 6.5 gallons of wort in my kettle and a couple more gallons in a second pot? Once the volume in the kettle had gone down due to evaporation I'd top up with the remaining wort and continue to boil off the water till I hit my mark of 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for the advice.
I do this with no ill effects. You can also use any extra wort for starters too if the gravity is right.

Gary

Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
jayhoz
Recipes 

One other question regarding the gravity. How do you take the gravity of hot liquids (from MLT or the boil)? I would be worried that the hydrometer would break due to thermal shock. Do you let the sample cool before dropping in the hydrometer?

Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Be careful not to shatter the glass when putting the hydrometer in boiling wort. Most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 degrees. However, there is usually a temp conversion on the hydrometer. If not go online and google hydrometer temp conversion.

Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhoz
One other question regarding the gravity. How do you take the gravity of hot liquids (from MLT or the boil)? I would be worried that the hydrometer would break due to thermal shock. Do you let the sample cool before dropping in the hydrometer?
Yep, you need to cool it down. I grab some with a glass measuring cup and put it in some ice to cool it.

Gary

Old 03-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
jayhoz
Recipes 

Thanks guys. Helpful as usual.

Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Jer
Recipes 

For those who do this, is there any problems with having to wait to get the wort back up to a boil after adding the non-boiling wort?

Or do you just add small amount at a time to keep the boil going?

Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
For those who do this, is there any problems with having to wait to get the wort back up to a boil after adding the non-boiling wort?

Or do you just add small amount at a time to keep the boil going?
Jer, it will take a few minutes to return to a rolling boil and I do add a few minutes to the boil time. I generally add before the 30 minute mark so any hop additions after that still are on the same time schedule.

Gary

Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I batch sparge & start heating the first runnings immediately, so I make two additions of "cool" wort. I just wait until all of it is in the kettle and boiling before adding any hops. The additional boil time would only be a problem if you were aiming for a light-colored Pilsner or Pale.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply