Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding Wort to the Boil

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
jayhoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 160
Default Adding Wort to the Boil

I am in the process of gathering my gear for my first AG (probably this spring). My boil kettle is a 30qt turkey fryer pot. I think this will do me well for a good bit of the beers I want to make, but I was wondering about the times where I may need to collect a larger volume of wort from my MLT. Is there anything wrong with collecting say 6.5 gallons of wort in my kettle and a couple more gallons in a second pot? Once the volume in the kettle had gone down due to evaporation I'd top up with the remaining wort and continue to boil off the water till I hit my mark of 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for the advice.

__________________
jayhoz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 4,013
Liked 48 Times on 32 Posts

Default

That'll work fine. It may take a few times before you get the timing down so you know when to add your bittering hops, i.e. when you have 60 minutes left. My guess is you could probably start the clock after you add the extra volume if that brings you back up to ~6.5 gal.

__________________
Lil' Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhoz
I am in the process of gathering my gear for my first AG (probably this spring). My boil kettle is a 30qt turkey fryer pot. I think this will do me well for a good bit of the beers I want to make, but I was wondering about the times where I may need to collect a larger volume of wort from my MLT. Is there anything wrong with collecting say 6.5 gallons of wort in my kettle and a couple more gallons in a second pot? Once the volume in the kettle had gone down due to evaporation I'd top up with the remaining wort and continue to boil off the water till I hit my mark of 5.5 gallons.

Thanks for the advice.
I do this with no ill effects. You can also use any extra wort for starters too if the gravity is right.
__________________

Gary

Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:20 PM   #4
jayhoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 160
Default

One other question regarding the gravity. How do you take the gravity of hot liquids (from MLT or the boil)? I would be worried that the hydrometer would break due to thermal shock. Do you let the sample cool before dropping in the hydrometer?

__________________
jayhoz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:25 PM   #5
tdavisii
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tdavisii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 719
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Be careful not to shatter the glass when putting the hydrometer in boiling wort. Most hydrometers are calibrated for 60 degrees. However, there is usually a temp conversion on the hydrometer. If not go online and google hydrometer temp conversion.

__________________
tdavisii is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhoz
One other question regarding the gravity. How do you take the gravity of hot liquids (from MLT or the boil)? I would be worried that the hydrometer would break due to thermal shock. Do you let the sample cool before dropping in the hydrometer?
Yep, you need to cool it down. I grab some with a glass measuring cup and put it in some ice to cool it.
__________________

Gary

Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #7
jayhoz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 160
Default

Thanks guys. Helpful as usual.

__________________
jayhoz is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Jer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 45
Default

For those who do this, is there any problems with having to wait to get the wort back up to a boil after adding the non-boiling wort?

Or do you just add small amount at a time to keep the boil going?

__________________
Jer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #9
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Blender's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Santa Cruz, CA.
Posts: 3,116
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer
For those who do this, is there any problems with having to wait to get the wort back up to a boil after adding the non-boiling wort?

Or do you just add small amount at a time to keep the boil going?
Jer, it will take a few minutes to return to a rolling boil and I do add a few minutes to the boil time. I generally add before the 30 minute mark so any hop additions after that still are on the same time schedule.
__________________

Gary

Blender is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2007, 06:01 PM   #10
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Default

I batch sparge & start heating the first runnings immediately, so I make two additions of "cool" wort. I just wait until all of it is in the kettle and boiling before adding any hops. The additional boil time would only be a problem if you were aiming for a light-colored Pilsner or Pale.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding Hops to boil - In the wort or in a bag? Skipstr21 General Techniques 11 03-19-2012 10:32 AM
Adding Cherries; post boil wort to primary, or secondary? Medo General Techniques 9 10-31-2011 04:00 AM
Should I boil my spring water before adding it to the wort/primary? bjzelectric Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 03-22-2009 05:29 PM
Continually adding water to boil to offset boil-off TrojanAnteater General Techniques 8 08-01-2008 10:55 PM
Adding wort/water during the boil? Funkenjaeger General Techniques 3 11-02-2007 08:51 PM