Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding Water Post-Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2008, 01:30 AM   #1
boyurboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Adding Water Post-Fermentation

I brewed two beers today, using the partigyle method, and all went pretty darn well. I made a maple porter and a honey brown, and hit my numbers very well for the porter at 5.75G in the fermenter at 1.086. For the brown, I lost too much to evaporation and ended up with somewhere around 4.5 in the fermenter at 1.048.

My question is this: would it be horribly wrong to add .5 to .75 boiled/cooled water to the secondary for the brown to make up the difference in order to yield closer to 5G in the keg? Should I just chalk it up to a learning experience and be happy that I got 10-ish gallons of beer that is bubbling away? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #2
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It seems to me like a bad idea to add water after fermentation is complete, not sure why. I much prefer full-bodied beers myself - I'd let it be and take what I got.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM   #3
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, I did the same thing! I think I am just going to leave it alone, as my post boil OG was right on target.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If I were goign to top oiff I'd do it before I pitch. If I were you I'd just take the 4.5 gallons and proceed as normal.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Now that you've pitched...I wouldn't do it...I'd much rather have 4.5 gallons of good beer (at my numbers) than 5 gallons of diluted beer....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply