The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding Grist to Water or Water to Grist

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
michael.berta
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Adding Grist to Water or Water to Grist

OK so as per John Palmer I've been adding my strike water to a pre heated MLT with the grains already there. I've been having issues with not reaching mash temp. I seem to always come out a few degrees low. The MLT I use is a converted stainless steel regular size keg.

It seems easier to just heat the water in the MLT a few degrees above strike temp and then add the grain to the water that's already there. Does anyone do this? Anything I should be worried about if I try this?

Thanks

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2707 Times on 1626 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I do grain to water, and preheat my cooler as well..though I dunno if THAT part is really necessary if you overheat your water and let it cool to the right temp.

Then I stir madly wile adding my grain to prevent doughballs.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-22-2009, 06:40 PM   #3
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Both will work once you know what's going to happen to temperature when you're all in.

I do water to grain, but I know from experience I need 3* - 4* hotter water than Beersmith tells me I need.

I tried grain to water a couple times, but I find I have much more of an issue with dough balls that way. YMMV.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
michael.berta
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

This is my MLT, btw...

Old 03-22-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Grain into water. I mash in a plastic container and use a heatstick to adjust temp if needed - I dump in the grain after the bath temperature is where I want it.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
vav
Recipes 

I use a 10 gallon igloo cooler, and on my first AG i missed my mash temp by so much going grain into water that i had to do 3 small decoctions...on a double IPA!

Last brew, i calculated my strike water and subtracted 3 quarts. I took those 3 quarts and boiled them to pre-heat my mash tun. I left the lid off and let it cool down to 10above strike temp and added the grain. I then added the strike water. My temp was DEAD on.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Cpt_Kirks
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 39 Posts

I had been following Palmer, and going water to grain. My efficiency stunk.

Now, I pre-heat my MLT, dump that water, add the strike water, then add the grain. I add about a third of the grain, stir, add, stir, add, stir. No dough balls, and my efficiency went up into the 80's (more water probably helped there).

Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In my Coleman 70 for a 5 gallon batch I have to heat my strike water 13*F over my strike temp. I add half the grain to the tun, half the water, stir, half the grain, half the water, stir again for 2 minutes, and then go have a homebrew knowing my temps will settle just right.

The BeerSmith "adjust temp for equipment" works great, if you have a stainless or a small mash vessel. For my big cooler with all its huge head space I created a spreadsheet to calculate my mash temps since BeerSmith doesn't seem to take all that empty volume into account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 03-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I've always pre-heated the tun with near-boiling water, adjusted to strike temperature, then added the grain.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I pump to the MLT from the HLT at my strike temp (usually 170 something) let it rest for 5 minutes then pump back to the HLT to heat the water back up to strike temp. I pump back over, add grains and stir. I usually hit my temps, though this weekend I was over by a couple degrees.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply