Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding dry flaked wheat??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 AM   #1
jacobi3232
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding dry flaked wheat??

I have my Heff in the secondary right now, and I also have a 1/2 pound of flake wheat left from my brew day. Has anyone ever thrown the dry flaked wheat into the secondary? Just something running through my head, so any help would be great!

"I like making BEARD with you Daddy!" said by my 3yr old son while handing me a bottle cap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
runningweird
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 47

if you want a sure fire way to give yourself a nasty lactobacillus infection go right ahead. Grain harbors bacteria naturally, that's why we mash at high temperatures for so long, it extracts the sugars and proteins we want as well as kills off the little buggers so we don't get sour mashes.

don't do it. unless you want a sour beer then go right ahead. it won't add any flavor that I can think of on its own

if you do it take pictures and keep records.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
jacobi3232
Recipes 

Well, I was hoping for some better news. Thank you for the information.

"I like making BEARD with you Daddy!" said by my 3yr old son while handing me a bottle cap.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
highgravitybacon
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobi3232 View Post
I have my Heff in the secondary right now, and I also have a 1/2 pound of flake wheat left from my brew day. Has anyone ever thrown the dry flaked wheat into the secondary? Just something running through my head, so any help would be great!
You have to mash it. Otherwise it would be like adding 1/2 lb of bread flour to your finished beer.

Quick Reply