Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding DME to Fermenter - OG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
schwinn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Adding DME to Fermenter - OG

I brewed an all grain IPA a couple of days ago and was way off on my OG.
I ended up with 1.053 into the fermenter when it should be closer to 1.067.

I have seen discussions about this in the past about just leaving the beer be and dealing with the less alcohol but those only dealt with 4 or 5 OG discrepancy and there wasn't much talk of the bitterness profile.......
I have hopped this thing to around 84 IBU's which would balance out with a alcohol percentage of around 7% so i think i im in trouble since it looks like i will be closer to 5% on the alcohol content.

Any thoughts on adding about a pound or 2 of DME (boiled in as little water as possible) to the fermenter about 3-5 days into fermentation?
I don't expect to get up to 1.067 but if i can make up 1/2 the difference and come in around 6% ill be happy. (or any other sugar recommendations)

Thoughts - need to make a decision in the next couple of days as fermentation is under way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
smagee
Most impressive "member"
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I've done this for similar reasons before and never suffered ill-effects. It's not ideal, but I don't see any problem with it.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1126 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

I did this to a Baltic Porter that I recently won a bronze with in a large competition so I don't see any issues as long as you are sanitary.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
schwinn
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OClairBrew View Post
I did this to a Baltic Porter that I recently won a bronze with in a large competition so I don't see any issues as long as you are sanitary.
Did you just boil the dme with water or did you do as others suggested to me today ----take off some wort (to avoid watering down) and raise sugar and wort to 160 to sanitize and return to fermenter--

When should i add the DME (i am 24 hours into fermentation and is fermenting nicely) - should i wait another day or a few days?

Old 10-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
duboman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
Did you just boil the dme with water or did you do as others suggested to me today ----take off some wort (to avoid watering down) and raise sugar and wort to 160 to sanitize and return to fermenter--

When should i add the DME (i am 24 hours into fermentation and is fermenting nicely) - should i wait another day or a few days?
Just boil with with a little water, cool and pitch in at high krausen and your good to go

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #6
BrewinHooligan
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1126 Times on 714 Posts
Likes Given: 1283

I boiled 2 lbs of dme in about a half gallon of water, cooled and added about 24 hours after fermentation took off. Just like duboman says. Just be careful of boilovers, use as little water as possible but the high concentration boiling will boil up and over real quick if you aren't paying attention.

Quick Reply