Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding DME to boost efficiency
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
zman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver.
Posts: 2,609
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default Adding DME to boost efficiency

What is the formula for adding DME to the boil to boost efficiency if need be? I can't seem to find any info. Perhaps I am searching the wrong phrase. If there is a thread on the please post the link.

__________________
www.kroc.org
zman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,364
Liked 50 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default

i don't have it, but if you are misspelling the terms (as in your title) that might be the issue

__________________
midfielder5 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
zman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver.
Posts: 2,609
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
i don't have it, but if you are misspelling the terms (as in your title) that might be the issue
just saw that. I do not see how I can edit the title of my posting
__________________
www.kroc.org
zman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 PM   #4
ajf
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ajf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Long Island
Posts: 4,643
Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

Adding DME to your boil will not improve efficiency. It will increase your OG, which could be good if your OG is low. To do this successfully, you need to know your pre-boil volume, post-boil volume, pre-boil gravity, and required post-boil gravity.
Here's the math.
Assume your pre-boil volume is V1, your post boil volume is V2, and your pre-boil gravity is G1.
Your post boil gravity (G2) will be 1 + ((G1 - 1.0) * V1 / V2)
i.e. if you start with G1 = 1.040, V1 = 7 gal, and V2 = 5.5 gal, your post boil gravity (G2) will be:
1 + ((1.040 - 1.0) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + ((0.040) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + .051
or 1.051

If you want your OG to be 1.062, subtract G2 from that, and that gives you the gravity points shortage. i.e. 1.062 - 0.051 = a shortage of 0.011
Now you need to calculate how much DME you need to add to make up that gravity points shortage.
Assume GS is the gravity points shortage (0.011), and V2 is the estimated post boil volume (5.5 gal)
The amount of DME you need to add is GS * V2 / 0.046 i.e. 0.011 * 5.5 / 0.046 or 1.32 lb DME.

Hope this makes sense,

-a.

__________________

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

ajf is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
zman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver.
Posts: 2,609
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Adding DME to your boil will not improve efficiency. It will increase your OG, which could be good if your OG is low. To do this successfully, you need to know your pre-boil volume, post-boil volume, pre-boil gravity, and required post-boil gravity.
Here's the math.
Assume your pre-boil volume is V1, your post boil volume is V2, and your pre-boil gravity is G1.
Your post boil gravity (G2) will be 1 + ((G1 - 1.0) * V1 / V2)
i.e. if you start with G1 = 1.040, V1 = 7 gal, and V2 = 5.5 gal, your post boil gravity (G2) will be:
1 + ((1.040 - 1.0) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + ((0.040) * 7 / 5.5)
or 1 + .051
or 1.051

If you want your OG to be 1.062, subtract G2 from that, and that gives you the gravity points shortage. i.e. 1.062 - 0.051 = a shortage of 0.011
Now you need to calculate how much DME you need to add to make up that gravity points shortage.
Assume GS is the gravity points shortage (0.011), and V2 is the estimated post boil volume (5.5 gal)
The amount of DME you need to add is GS * V2 / 0.046 i.e. 0.011 * 5.5 . 0.046 or 1.32 lb DME.

Hope this makes sense,

-a.
Yes it does. Thanks
__________________
www.kroc.org
zman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
TastySalmon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: N. Idaho/NW Washington
Posts: 104
Default

Why not just add more grains to your mash to increase OG? It will save you money.

__________________
TastySalmon is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
sweatje
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 14
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastySalmon View Post
Why not just add more grains to your mash to increase OG? It will save you money.
I think his point is he has already mashed out and has low gravity and is trying to correct on the fly. Your approach would work for his next attempt at the same recipe if there were no other process influences though.
__________________
sweatje is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #8
zman
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
 
zman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Denver.
Posts: 2,609
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatje View Post
I think his point is he has already mashed out and has low gravity and is trying to correct on the fly. Your approach would work for his next attempt at the same recipe if there were no other process influences though.
That is exactly why. I am generally either spot on or a few points +/- my perboil OG. However, I wanted to know what to do if I am not spot on
__________________
www.kroc.org
zman is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New manifold, efficiency boost jmo88 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 10-11-2009 11:47 PM
Efficiency boost! Deuce All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 2 08-27-2009 12:22 PM
Ideas to Boost Efficiency asdtexas All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-16-2009 05:36 PM
Protein rest = efficiency boost Shawn Hargreaves All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 12 03-24-2009 05:55 PM
Boost your AG efficiency david_42 Equipment/Sanitation 0 06-03-2006 12:59 AM