*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Adding creaminess to a stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
Naked_Eskimo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Adding creaminess to a stout

I'm busy formulating an american stout recipe that I want to make with lots of body (really chewy), creaminess and a good thick head. I'm undecided on whether I should go with flaked oats or flaked barley, or perhaps both. I understand that they do pretty much the same thing, so would going with both be overkill? At present I have both in my recipe at ~4% contribution each.

Also, I know that wheat malt can also do a similar function, so should I think about adding wheat to my stout, or just stick to the flaked barley and oats?

Appreciate your suggestions!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'd just go with the oats at around 8% of your grist. I don't know at what point it goes from an american Stout to an oatmeal stout, but if it tastes good, who cares!

I use Wheat malt in my Brown Ales and love the nice, thick foamy head it gives my beer.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

In Brewing Classic Styles, Jamil uses 25% flaked barley for mouthfeel.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Beehemel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The high amounts of flaked oats/barley already suggested would work. I think you would also want to mash at a pretty high temp as well to give it a good full body. Probably around 158 or even 160 F. I'm going to be using some flaked barley in my next brew (coffee porter) so I'm interested to hear what you go with, and the results you get.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
funkswing
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If you are going for chewieness, I would stay away from the Wheat malt, it does aid in head retention, but wheat malt also decreases perceivable body.

If you really want an american stout, just mash at 158 F and keep the flaked barley/oats down below 15% (I would just use the flk. barley)

If you want an Oatmeal stout, add the oatmeal up to 25% and some crystal malt to make it sweet. Leave the flk. barley to a <5% to none.

If you want a Milk stout add the milk sugar (lactose), which is unfermentable and adds only body/mouthfeel/chewieness. I think a milk stout is what you are really looking for.

Regardless, I got thirsty writing this.....

Old 09-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
kuphish
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

One other thing - if you keep the carbonation levels low (~1.8-2 volumes), you will add to the sensation of having a silky mouthfeel.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:52 PM   #7
funkswing
Recipes 

good point in the post above this one, nearly always overlooked.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
Beehemel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuphish View Post
One other thing - if you keep the carbonation levels low (~1.8-2 volumes), you will add to the sensation of having a silky mouthfeel.
Agreed.

Old 09-29-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Naked_Eskimo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkswing View Post
If you are going for chewieness, I would stay away from the Wheat malt, it does aid in head retention, but wheat malt also decreases perceivable body.

If you really want an american stout, just mash at 158 F and keep the flaked barley/oats down below 15% (I would just use the flk. barley)

If you want an Oatmeal stout, add the oatmeal up to 25% and some crystal malt to make it sweet. Leave the flk. barley to a <5% to none.

If you want a Milk stout add the milk sugar (lactose), which is unfermentable and adds only body/mouthfeel/chewieness. I think a milk stout is what you are really looking for.

Regardless, I got thirsty writing this.....
Not really wanting a milk stout, I already have one on tap and want something more "roasty" than sweet, but with a nice smooth silkiness to it. The current recipe I have straddles the guidelines for the American stout and a Foreign Extra Stout.

Was planning on mashing high, maybe 156-158. Thinking maybe I'll drop the oats and going all in with the flaked barley.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
funkswing
Recipes 

Naked - I just realized it was you who posted this. Did you go to that homebrew club meeting last week?

I think the diff. between flaked barley and flaked oats is the flaked barley gives creaminess and the flaked oats gives chewieness - this is from the book Brewmasters Bible. I have never used the flaked barley. But I have used oats and I like how they work in Stouts and Witbiers

Quick Reply