Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Added way too much chalk to Stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Added way too much chalk to Stout

Question for you all. I am making a dry stout and, for the first time, added some salts (just got my Ward Labs water sample).

I was supposed to add about 2 grams of CaCO3, but my scale was accidentally set to ounces, and I ended up dumping about 1 ounce (!) of it into my mash before I caught myself. Basically, I've got way too much Calcium and HCO3 in my brew.

What's this going to do to my beer? Should I keep brewing, or save myself hours of effort and weeks of uncertainty and just dump it?

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
mabrungard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 24

The good thing is that chalk is VERY ineffective at adding alkalinity and raising mash pH. So its possible that there is little to no adverse effect here.

If your water has really low alkalinity and you are brewing a grist that needs some alkalinity, I suggest finding some Pickling Lime and learning to use that for adding alkalinity. It works very effectively. Unfortunately if you miscalculate with a Lime dose like was done with the chalk, the beer would be f'ed and it would be time to toss it. You don't have that worry with chalk.

Your stout should still be OK in the case of this chalk overdose!

Martin B
Carmel, IN
BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook for occasional discussions on brewing water and Bru'n Water

Old 11-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
jturie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I ended up erring on the side of caution and dumped it. Calculated Ca+ at over 300 ppm and HCO3 at close to 500. Ran up to the LHBS and grabbed more grains, although I had to use Briess Roasted Barley instead of Crisp Black Barley. Just another trial in my Stout curse.

Keg 1: Rye IPA
Keg 2: Rye IPA
Keg 3: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Keg 4: Empty

On Deck: Lemon Line Hefe, Saison, SNPA Clone

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." -- Frank Zappa

Quick Reply