Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > added priming sugar early??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #1
goggan719
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default added priming sugar early??

so i wasn't really paying attention and I added my priming sugar (5oz dextrose) to the wort when i initially began fermentation....normally i don't add it until after fermentation prior to bottling. think it will be ok? or am i going to need to add more prior to bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #2
goggan719
Recipes 

ok, so i found a few posts and it appears i'm ok but i'll need to add more sugar at bottling....i read that regular sugar is ok? is that true? am i getting taken for $1 when I buy the "special" priming sugar from the supply store?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

dextrose is a simpler sugar and will ferment faster, however, table (cane) sugar ferments completely... you will have to add more, but don't fret, that little sugar won't have any reasonable effect on taste or abv. A lot of people use cane sugar, it might take a little longer though, but some prefer it.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

goggan719 Likes This 
Old 05-07-2010, 12:40 AM   #4
Gremlyn
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Your LHBS sells the corn sugar for more? I get it for $3/2 lbs here. You can use table sugar, but the amount is different. There are conversion charts and calculators to found in abundance for figuring this out and I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. The beer will be just fine

Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #5
goggan719
Recipes 

thanks, i've been bottle conditioning for about 2 weeks, normally adding the priming sugar to the entire batch prior to bottling...think i may need more than 2 weeks using cane sugar? still go with 5 oz, 5 gallon batch...

Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 AM   #6
billc68
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Or you can buy Kreamy X or some other malt based sugar, your beer will thank you for it. I almost never use dextrose in any part of my brewing.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
walt3120
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goggan719 View Post
...think i may need more than 2 weeks using cane sugar? still go with 5 oz, 5 gallon batch...
There are several priming calculators on the web that will tell you how much of the various sugars you need to add to achieve a carbonation level appropriate to the beer style you are brewing.

For instance....
Tasty Brew Priming Calculator

Quick Reply