Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Added hot honey to Primary, Problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
MatthewDLW3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Added hot honey to Primary, Problem?

I accidently forgot to let the honey cool after I heated it up on the stove. Not sure how hot it was but I dumped it in the primary. it is a big beer I brewed with 2 whole yeast starters at the begining. Whats the worst that is going to happen? I am sure I probably killed a little yeast but will it mostly recovered, its still floculating well and fermenting? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2732 Times on 1639 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

You'll be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-07-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Golddiggie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 477 Times on 420 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Next time, don't bother heating the honey any more than is required to get it to flow into the fermenter. I've added room temp honey to more than a few batches without any issues. Just sanitize the funnel if you're going to use one (Star San) and go for it.

跟猴子比丟屎 ・ Gun HOE-tze bee DIO-se

On Tap: Caramel Ale, Mocha Porter II, MO SMaSH IPA
Waiting/Carbonating: 12.5% Wee Honey II, 8.9% Old Ale, English Brown Ale, Lickah ESB, Mocha Porter II
Fermenting
K1:
K2: Epic mead
K3: TripSix
On Deck: Caramel Ale
Aging:mead
Mead [bottled]:Oaked Wildflower Traditional, Mocha Madness, Blackberry Melomel, maple wine

Old 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #4
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I made honey beer last night.
Mine called for putting it in the boil. I kept it at room temp, poured it in and used the hot wort from the mash tun to get the rest out of the jar. Put the lid on and shook, then poured it out.

Yours should be fine. It would take a lot of honey in a 5 gallon batch to change the temp of the wort enough to notice, let alone enough to hurt the yeast.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

Quick Reply