*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Acetaldehyde in EVERY all grain batch!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
racetech
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Acetaldehyde in EVERY all grain batch!

Every all grain batch I've brewed comes up with the green apple giveaway smell of Acetaldehyde. I've had a batch of EdWort's Haus Pale Ale sit for 4 months and it still has it. All the reading I have been doing on here and in my plethora of books is saying to do exactly what I am doing and it's not going away.

Now on that note, every extract batch I ever did never had any acetaldehyde (detectable anyway) Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve this because it's getting very frustrating and I'm getting thirsty...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
theDeutscher
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

What yeast are you using and what were the temperatures of your fermentation?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
mvcorliss
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What exactly is your process?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Chuginator
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Rule #1: do not give up.

You can brew exceptionally good beer, we just need to figure out what's wrong.

Can you describe your process to us? Equipment, fermentation times and temps, anything you feel is worth explaining?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
racetech
Recipes 

Equipment:
5 gallon round cooler mash tun.
6 gallon brew pot
6.5 gallon carboy
One step cleanser

Process:
Mash in @168
Mashed at 156 for one hour, sparged with 175 water, had to do a double sparge to get pre boil volume.
Boiled for one hour, cooled with immersion chiller to 75 degrees then pitched a packet of Danstar Nottingham Yeast.

Fermentation didn't start for nearly 2 days and only then it took off after I put the carboy in the closet at 80 degrees. Fermented for 1 week, checked my gravity (1.008) had apple smell and flavor. Dropped temp to 75 degrees and it is still sitting on the primary yeast cake.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Things I notice:

Sanitation, one step is a cleanser and you should also be using star san to sanitize. I know it may say one step but I have read a lot of posts where it seems it just doesn't sanitize the way it should

Temperatures: You should try to get the wort closer to 70 or less when pitching and 80 degrees is just too hot to ferment. Most ales prefer to ferment in the 62-68 degree range, you need to get better control over your fermentation temps and exercise more patience

Make a starter or re-hydrate your yeast, while 2 days is not a long time to wait for activity to take off you can speed things up with these simple steps. In addition, most likely activity has begun before two days but not enough CO2 was produced to activate your airlock. REMEMBER and airlock is a device, NOT A GAUGE and whether there is activity or not means absolutely nothing.

While raising the fermentation temperature to 80 sped up your process your yeast threw off tons of off flavors because it was out of its range. Yeast and fermentation are the MOST important aspects of brewing beer, if you can control those two elements you can brew any kind of beer you want successfully.

Cheers!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
racetech
Recipes 

Alright, I'll try those tips in the next batch.

Now how do I get rid of the flavor besides sitting, sitting, and more sitting. Should I let them sit on the yeast at the 62-68 degree range for awhile longer? It's very disheartening when all my extract beers were good to go and I had the same process as before.

Old 05-02-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Irishwrench
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I had the same issues and believe the temperatures during fermentation were to blame. I started AG at the end of last summer and my dedicated fermenting closet (our pantry) had temperatures in excess of 75* year round. I have sinced moved my fermentation to a closet downstairs which maintains a nice 65*. Major difference!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 PM   #9
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 475 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by racetech View Post
Alright, I'll try those tips in the next batch.

Now how do I get rid of the flavor besides sitting, sitting, and more sitting. Should I let them sit on the yeast at the 62-68 degree range for awhile longer? It's very disheartening when all my extract beers were good to go and I had the same process as before.
You can try and keep the beer in the primary for a while, like 3-4 weeks to give the yeast a chance to clean up its off flavors but be sure you locate it in the appropriate temperature range: 62-68F.

Also, for the future, remember that the actual temperature in the primary during active fermentation could be 5-10 degrees higher than the surrounding ambient temperature in the room.

Don't give up! This is all part of the learning curve and as you become more advanced there will be more head scratching to tackle

Old 05-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
racetech
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
You can try and keep the beer in the primary for a while, like 3-4 weeks to give the yeast a chance to clean up its off flavors but be sure you locate it in the appropriate temperature range: 62-68F.

Also, for the future, remember that the actual temperature in the primary during active fermentation could be 5-10 degrees higher than the surrounding ambient temperature in the room.

Don't give up! This is all part of the learning curve and as you become more advanced there will be more head scratching to tackle

Thanks, looks like I might have to lug two carboys down two flights of stairs to my basement to get the correct temp range. Wish I had some beer after that trip!

Quick Reply