According to my hydrometer my FG=1% ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
My first AG wort has been in primary for 10 days now so I wanted to check the FG for the first time, recipe FG=1.051 mine was actually 1.055. Sanitized a turkey baster and filled my test tube about 1/2-3/4 of the way up with wort, dropped the hydrometer in and it just sunk to the bottom. So thinking I had to much wort in the tube I drank a little, which tasted awesome by the way, citrusy, floral, just what I was looking for using Cascade and Citra, so I was happy that it tasted and smelled good. Now with the tube 1/2 full I dropped the hydrometer in and again it just sunk, did not float at all. So I dont know what happened or what this means for my final gravity or product. Recipe calls for cold crashing at 10 days I was gonna wait until Sat (14th day in primary) recheck the FG and then cold crash, I still may procede as planned but Any help would be great.

My first AG wort has been in primary for 10 days now so I wanted to check the FG for the first time, recipe FG=1.051 mine was actually 1.055. Sanitized a turkey baster and filled my test tube about 1/2-3/4 of the way up with wort, dropped the hydrometer in and it just sunk to the bottom. So thinking I had to much wort in the tube I drank a little, which tasted awesome by the way, citrusy, floral, just what I was looking for using Cascade and Citra, so I was happy that it tasted and smelled good. Now with the tube 1/2 full I dropped the hydrometer in and again it just sunk, did not float at all. So I dont know what happened or what this means for my final gravity or product. Recipe calls for cold crashing at 10 days I was gonna wait until Sat (14th day in primary) recheck the FG and then cold crash, I still may procede as planned but Any help would be great.

I think you meant 1.055 was your OG, not FG. Anyways, dont go off the side that gives percents, take your OG reading post boil and your FG reading 10 days after pitching yeast. Also, make sure your sample is at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for, should say on it somewhere. Failure to do so can throw off readings. Make sure your hydrometer is correct, put it in distilled water and it should read 1.00

(OG-FG)*131=ABV%
IE: (1.055-1.012)*131=5.63% ABV

Not really sure how I did it wrong. I pulled a sample and stuck in the hydrometer, it sunk to the bottom of the test tube didn't float even the littlest bit but its hard to get a true reading because since it just sinks, the reading goes to where the liquid is displaced by the hydrometer. So when I filled 3/4 of wort in the test tube then inserted the hydrometer, the wort level raised up to around 1%abv. When there was just under 1/2 of the tube with wort the hydrometer raised the wort level to around 1.065, Doesnt seem like a true reading to me it's just where the wort is displaced by the hydrometer. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong.

You are reading it wrong. Watch that video and forget the percent readings on the hydrometer.

Put more beer in your sample tube. Fill it up most of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think you meant 1.055 was your OG, not FG. Anyways, dont go off the side that gives percents, take your OG reading post boil and your FG reading 10 days after pitching yeast. Also, make sure your sample is at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for, should say on it somewhere. Failure to do so can throw off readings. Make sure your hydrometer is correct, put it in distilled water and it should read 1.00

(OG-FG)*131=ABV%
IE: (1.055-1.012)*131=5.63% ABV

You're correct my OG was 1.055, post boil. The FG for this recipe should be 1.011. It's 10 days today after pitching and the temp is 61-63 deg F in my basement. I'll try again on Sat day 14 and see what happens. I just don't know what would cause the hydrometer to literally just sink right to the bottom and not float at all.

You're correct my OG was 1.055, post boil. The FG for this recipe should be 1.011. It's 10 days today after pitching and the temp is 61-63 deg F in my basement. I'll try again on Sat day 14 and see what happens. I just don't know what would cause the hydrometer to literally just sink right to the bottom and not float at all.

Is it sinking to the bottom as in touching or resting on the bottom? Or is it sinking low but still floating off the bottom. If its touching you need more liquid for your sample.

Is it sinking to the bottom as in touching or resting on the bottom? Or is it sinking low but still floating off the bottom. If its touching you need more liquid for your sample.

It sank like a stone touching the bottom. Maybe it it is as simple as just needing more liquid

.....filled my test tube about 1/2-3/4 of the way up with wort, dropped the hydrometer in and it just sunk to the bottom. So thinking I had to much wort in the tube I drank a little.... Now with the tube 1/2 full I dropped the hydrometer in and again it just sunk, did not float at all.

You went the wrong way. If the hydrometer touches the bottom, you need to add MORE liquid, not less. Fill it up all the way and drop in the hydro.

Your FG is supposed to be 1.011, but you're not even putting in enough liquid to reach that line on the scale!

And yeah, ignore the % scale.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

It sank like a stone touching the bottom. Maybe it it is as simple as just needing more liquid

You would have to have a liquid with a gravity less then water for it to actually touch bottom. Sounds like you just had a small sample. If using buckets just drop the hydrometer right in the bucket. If carboy, just take a bigger sample.

DUH!! Now that's embarrassing. Thanks for all the replies figures it was an obvious fix. Learn something new all the time. Lol.

DUH!! Now that's embarrassing. Thanks for all the replies figures it was an obvious fix. Learn something new all the time. Lol.

And that's why this forum is so great. :) I put my first ever sample in a scotch glass. Figure my confusion when the hydrometer did nothing. I thought it was like a thermometer where something would rise. Well no. YouTube to the rescue on that one! I felt stupid. Well maybe I am, but I felt real stupid that day. :D

And that's why this forum is so great. :) I put my first ever sample in a scotch glass. Figure my confusion when the hydrometer did nothing. I thought it was like a thermometer where something would rise. Well no. YouTube to the rescue on that one! I felt stupid. Well maybe I am, but I felt real stupid that day. :D

Now thats funny lol

Just as an FYI you would use the percent scale when you take your OG to get a base estimate on what the ABV could be. That will change of course based on what your FG ends up being so it is pretty much best too just ignore that scale.

I believe you take your percent reading before fermentation and subtract what you get after fermentation. Just like OG/FG but less accurate. I think lol

The percent scale is useful for distilling since you would be fermenting down very close to 1.000. This isn't very helpful for us home brewers though since our fg is generally higher.

Just an FYI. I dropped a hydrometer in my tube a few months ago and it sank to the bottom just like yours. I had plenty of liquid ( I fill the tube). Turns out my issue was a pin hole crack in the hydrometer!!! Now that you know exactly how to use it, if it sinks that means you didn't treat it with enough tlc. I bumped it against the sink and it cracked. They are cheap, I now keep a spare on hand just in case!! Glad you figured it out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just a side note. You shouldn't drop the hydrometer into the sample vessel. The scale can shift over time if you jar it a lot causing your reading to be off. I usually slide the hydro gently into the sample tube and then fill it high enough for my reading.

Just a side note. You shouldn't drop the hydrometer into the sample vessel. The scale can shift over time if you jar it a lot causing your reading to be off. I usually slide the hydro gently into the sample tube and then fill it high enough for my reading.

I just fill the tube up first then drop it in. It doesnt hit anything.

& when you break one, log it into the Official Broken Hydrometer thread

I still have my original, bought 20 years ago

& now I've probably jinxed myself

I have the one my grandfather used for beer and wine, it is 40+ years old. This is the only one I had had for 15 years until I thought I jinxed myself with another comment and purchased one a year ago. I am proud to say it is still going strong.

...Knock Knock

Back