Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > According to my hydrometer my FG=1% ABV

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
olotti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default According to my hydrometer my FG=1% ABV

My first AG wort has been in primary for 10 days now so I wanted to check the FG for the first time, recipe FG=1.051 mine was actually 1.055. Sanitized a turkey baster and filled my test tube about 1/2-3/4 of the way up with wort, dropped the hydrometer in and it just sunk to the bottom. So thinking I had to much wort in the tube I drank a little, which tasted awesome by the way, citrusy, floral, just what I was looking for using Cascade and Citra, so I was happy that it tasted and smelled good. Now with the tube 1/2 full I dropped the hydrometer in and again it just sunk, did not float at all. So I dont know what happened or what this means for my final gravity or product. Recipe calls for cold crashing at 10 days I was gonna wait until Sat (14th day in primary) recheck the FG and then cold crash, I still may procede as planned but Any help would be great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
poptarts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 202 Times on 144 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You're doing it wrong.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #3
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
My first AG wort has been in primary for 10 days now so I wanted to check the FG for the first time, recipe FG=1.051 mine was actually 1.055. Sanitized a turkey baster and filled my test tube about 1/2-3/4 of the way up with wort, dropped the hydrometer in and it just sunk to the bottom. So thinking I had to much wort in the tube I drank a little, which tasted awesome by the way, citrusy, floral, just what I was looking for using Cascade and Citra, so I was happy that it tasted and smelled good. Now with the tube 1/2 full I dropped the hydrometer in and again it just sunk, did not float at all. So I dont know what happened or what this means for my final gravity or product. Recipe calls for cold crashing at 10 days I was gonna wait until Sat (14th day in primary) recheck the FG and then cold crash, I still may procede as planned but Any help would be great.
I think you meant 1.055 was your OG, not FG. Anyways, dont go off the side that gives percents, take your OG reading post boil and your FG reading 10 days after pitching yeast. Also, make sure your sample is at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for, should say on it somewhere. Failure to do so can throw off readings. Make sure your hydrometer is correct, put it in distilled water and it should read 1.00

(OG-FG)*131=ABV%
IE: (1.055-1.012)*131=5.63% ABV

Old 05-14-2014, 12:33 AM   #4
olotti
Recipes 

Not really sure how I did it wrong. I pulled a sample and stuck in the hydrometer, it sunk to the bottom of the test tube didn't float even the littlest bit but its hard to get a true reading because since it just sinks, the reading goes to where the liquid is displaced by the hydrometer. So when I filled 3/4 of wort in the test tube then inserted the hydrometer, the wort level raised up to around 1%abv. When there was just under 1/2 of the tube with wort the hydrometer raised the wort level to around 1.065, Doesnt seem like a true reading to me it's just where the wort is displaced by the hydrometer. Maybe I'm reading it all wrong.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:35 AM   #5
Hello
16%er
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1386 Times on 967 Posts
Likes Given: 2160

You are reading it wrong. Watch that video and forget the percent readings on the hydrometer.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:38 AM   #6
geoffey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Put more beer in your sample tube. Fill it up most of the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Old 05-14-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
olotti
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignatedDrinker View Post
I think you meant 1.055 was your OG, not FG. Anyways, dont go off the side that gives percents, take your OG reading post boil and your FG reading 10 days after pitching yeast. Also, make sure your sample is at the temperature your hydrometer is calibrated for, should say on it somewhere. Failure to do so can throw off readings. Make sure your hydrometer is correct, put it in distilled water and it should read 1.00

(OG-FG)*131=ABV%
IE: (1.055-1.012)*131=5.63% ABV
You're correct my OG was 1.055, post boil. The FG for this recipe should be 1.011. It's 10 days today after pitching and the temp is 61-63 deg F in my basement. I'll try again on Sat day 14 and see what happens. I just don't know what would cause the hydrometer to literally just sink right to the bottom and not float at all.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #8
geoffey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's sinking because there isn't enough fluid in there to keep it afloat.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #9
DesignatedDrinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by olotti View Post
You're correct my OG was 1.055, post boil. The FG for this recipe should be 1.011. It's 10 days today after pitching and the temp is 61-63 deg F in my basement. I'll try again on Sat day 14 and see what happens. I just don't know what would cause the hydrometer to literally just sink right to the bottom and not float at all.

Is it sinking to the bottom as in touching or resting on the bottom? Or is it sinking low but still floating off the bottom. If its touching you need more liquid for your sample.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 AM   #10
peanasky
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffey View Post
It's sinking because there isn't enough fluid in there to keep it afloat.

Exactly. Think about yourself in a bathtub. When you sit down, you 'sink', but in a pool you would float, usually lol.

Quick Reply