Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Accidental 12 hour mash

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 09:05 PM   #1
Donasay
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Accidental 12 hour mash

So I sometimes mash overnight and brew early in the morning, it usually comes out well in that it makes some very light highly fermentable beers. When I mash overnight I usually do it for about 6 hours while I sleep and brew first thing, but some stuff came up and it wound up mashing for about 12 hours.

I set up my mash tun at about 2:30am with 14lbs of 2 row and 3lbs of flaked rice, I was planning on brewing at 9 or 10 but didn't get to brewing till about 2:00. I mashed in at 155 and by 1:00 the next day the mash was down to 140. I know this wort is going to be exceptionally fermentable and very light, so while boiling I added 8oz of maltodextrine to the 10 gallon batch to make up for what was lost.

I don't know if the beer is going to turn out to be any good, but I'm still letting it go for now. I have made some almost millerlite like beers overnight mashing before... this might turn out like a michalob ultra though...

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 03:19 AM   #2
denimglen
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Did it smell sour by any chance?

I did a 15 hour mash that soured (planned) but if your temps stayed hot the whole time and the mash tun closed it probably won't have soured.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
paulthenurse
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Location: Down by the rivah, Down by the banks of the Rivah Chahles.
Liked 218 Times on 188 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Holy Sheet, Batman! You just stumbled upon the secret methods of BMC. Watch out, the Fermenator-Termenator's coming looking for you.

Bet your BMC drinking friends will love it.

Want to win the coolest trophy in Homebrewing? Come to Masstoberfest. September 27, 2014

Follow my Wood Fired Oven Build Thread here

Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How do you maintain your temps for that long? Especially outside?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #5
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

It should be mentioned that you want to cool it if you wish to avoid Lacto action. The ideal range is around 120-130 F° iirc. Lactobacillus is ever present on malts (in varying amounts), all you need to de as a brewer is give it warmth (without overdoing it) and hold it warm for about 18 to 24 hours.

12 hours is not really enough time from what I have experienced to get a seriously sour beer. It's possibly you could have some minor reduction in pH, but most likely nothing severe. Like you said, You'll probably end up with a drier beer than you were planning. I have done an overnight mash before and it was certainly drinkeable. Dry, but drinkeable.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:37 PM   #6
Jolly McStanson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse
Holy Sheet, Batman! You just stumbled upon the secret methods of BMC. Watch out, the Fermenator-Termenator's coming looking for you.

Bet your BMC drinking friends will love it.
What dose BMC mean?

Oh and I'm actually going to try and make a real light beer so my brother will like home brew. He only drinks Bud Light. So an all night mash seems interesting. Plus maybe ill throw a little amylase enzyme or beano in when I pitch the yeast.

Old 02-18-2008, 09:57 PM   #7
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

BMC = Bud, Miller, Coors.

aka Cheap Swill

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 02-22-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
MikeFlynn74

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Interesting to say the least

Originally Posted by Tenchiro View Post
The successful have nobody to blame but themselves, I really wish they would take some responsibility for their own actions...

Old 02-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Well, this beer is fermenting, it took off like a madman, and is still going strong. It smells like beer and hopefully won't have any sour notes from the overnight mash, but it is still to early in the fermentation process to tell. I made it Sunday, and 6 days of fermenting and it is still going farly well, there must be some good eats in that carboy...

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Actually, if you had gotten infected and it soured enough to notice in the final product you'd notice it ahead of time. I am guessing that if you didn't smell the soured funk when you lautered that you'll be A-OK in that dept.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Quick Reply