Come enter the BrewHardware Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Acceptable FG

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2015, 07:36 AM   #1
kev211
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default Acceptable FG

Ok, so I know there are a million threads out there regarding when to bottle and FG yadda yadda. My question is more of a group wide query of facts. My second to last brew (all grain IPA) I messed up the mash (too low of temp but that's another story). I only hit 65% brewhouse efficiency. So, its been sitting in my fermenting chamber for just over 3 weeks always within a degree or two of 64°. So here's my question. I went to check my gravity tonight for my first of three checks before cold crashing, and the gravity was 1.020. I plugged my numbers into brewers friend and it gave me an estimated fg of 1.020, so that's good! My question is, have any of you bottled an IPA at 1.020 and what were the results? I always thought that 1.02 was a bit high for an IPA and I don't want to risk bottle bombs. Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
kev211
Recipes 

Forgot to add this screenshot of my brewers friend calcs.

Oh, and my yeast was wlp001 started on a stir plate

File Type: jpg 1421825879747.jpg (59.1 KB, 100 views)

Old 01-21-2015, 08:47 AM   #3
FatDragon
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 187

If you mashed too low, a final gravity of 1.020 seems a bit unlikely in that brew; a low mash should have produced more fermentible sugars rather than fewer, so while a mash around 156 might have that beer finishing around 1.020, a low mash temp would almost certainly get you lower than that even with a fairly wimpy yeast, which WLP001 is not.

If you want to be safe, give the fermenter a bit of a swirl to rouse a bit of yeast back into suspension and up the chamber temp to 68-70ish. Take your second and third FG readings as usual and cold crash or bottle as usual if the readings remain stable.

As for a 1.020 FG on an IPA, it won't be the dry hop bomb many people expect with an IPA, but many brewers, home and pro, are making hoppy beers with higher FG's (my favorite is Oskar Blues' G'Knight) that are terrific.

Coming Up: I Can't Believe It's Not Bitter! IPA 1.1

Old 01-21-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
kev211
Recipes 

Ok, I gave it a swirl, and since I live in San Diego Ive never invested in a method of heating my beers so I put some towels in the dryer and tossed those in the fermenting chamber (we'll see if that works). Its been a solid 65 here the past few days so its not quite enough to warm the chamber up on its own. If I do bottle at 1.02 should I take that into account when mixing priming sugar? Most calculators dont have a field for fg which I find interesting

Old 01-22-2015, 12:41 AM   #5
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev211 View Post
Ok, I gave it a swirl, and since I live in San Diego Ive never invested in a method of heating my beers so I put some towels in the dryer and tossed those in the fermenting chamber (we'll see if that works). Its been a solid 65 here the past few days so its not quite enough to warm the chamber up on its own. If I do bottle at 1.02 should I take that into account when mixing priming sugar? Most calculators dont have a field for fg which I find interesting
Final Gravity doesn't have an impact on priming. We measure FG so we can know when the beer is finished attenuating and how much alcohol it contains. If you measure the "final gravity" on a beer that's still fermenting and then bottle it, you're not actually measuring the final gravity. Since the calculator can't know where your beer will actually finish fermenting, an FG field in a priming calculator doesn't serve any function.

A couple towels in the dryer probably won't do it. You wouldn't happen to have a space heater, ceramic bulb (like for a reptile tank), or an aquarium heater? I've heard a string of christmas lights in a fermentation chamber can heat it up a few degrees as well.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 AM   #6
kev211
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDragon View Post
Final Gravity doesn't have an impact on priming. We measure FG so we can know when the beer is finished attenuating and how much alcohol it contains. If you measure the "final gravity" on a beer that's still fermenting and then bottle it, you're not actually measuring the final gravity. Since the calculator can't know where your beer will actually finish fermenting, an FG field in a priming calculator doesn't serve any function.

A couple towels in the dryer probably won't do it. You wouldn't happen to have a space heater, ceramic bulb (like for a reptile tank), or an aquarium heater? I've heard a string of christmas lights in a fermentation chamber can heat it up a few degrees as well.
But the gravity is the amount of dissolved solids in a liquid (in this case sugars) so wouldnt it have an impact on how much extra sugar needs to be added?

I may have to go out and buy a ceramic bulb then because I really have no need for any heat here (I havent run my house heater all "winter"). All of my xmas lights are led so they dont throw off much heat/any at all. I gave it a swirl this morning, so we'll see if anything has changed when I get home. The fact that the estimated FG was 1.020 gives me hope though

Old 01-22-2015, 01:12 AM   #7
Onkel_Udo
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
But the gravity is the amount of dissolved solids in a liquid (in this case sugars) so wouldnt it have an impact on how much extra sugar needs to be added?
No.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:21 AM   #8
FatDragon
Recipes 

Quote:

I may have to go out and buy a ceramic bulb then because I really have no need for any heat here (I havent run my house heater all "winter"). All of my xmas lights are led so they dont throw off much heat/any at all. I gave it a swirl this morning, so we'll see if anything has changed when I get home. The fact that the estimated FG was 1.020 gives me hope though
If you don't have a temp controller, think twice about a ceramic bulb. They're very efficient, but they get really hot, so you need to keep it controlled if you don't want to overheat your beer and cause a fire hazard.

And as Onkel Udo said, no, the gravity of finished beer has nothing to do with priming sugar. Once beer has finished fermenting, any dissolved sugars or solids in the beer are not going to be converted by the yeast in the brew. The only sugar that will be converted is the simple priming sugar, so the FG is not relevant to the priming sugar calculation.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #9
kev211
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatDragon View Post
If you don't have a temp controller, think twice about a ceramic bulb. They're very efficient, but they get really hot, so you need to keep it controlled if you don't want to overheat your beer and cause a fire hazard.

And as Onkel Udo said, no, the gravity of finished beer has nothing to do with priming sugar. Once beer has finished fermenting, any dissolved sugars or solids in the beer are not going to be converted by the yeast in the brew. The only sugar that will be converted is the simple priming sugar, so the FG is not relevant to the priming sugar calculation.
I do have a temp controller that will heat and chill, but here in socal we really only need to cool so I have it in a chest freezer. Guess I need to invest in something to warm it during the winter

Old 01-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #10
kev211
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkel_Udo View Post
No.
Uhhh, thanks