New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Abysmal Efficiency (55%-ish). Help?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
erikpete18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
I have a buddy who swears mashing out increases his efficiency by 3-5 points. I sparge with 175-180 degree water doing essentially the same thing without an added step and get slightly higher efficiency than he does. All systems are different though. It is definitely worth trying and seeing what is going to work best for you.
Yeah, a mashout is going to help a bit. You'll loosen everything up a little and dissolve a few more sugars in your first runnings. No idea what it might do to overall efficiency, but it certainly can't hurt. Plus, since you're fly sparging, you'll want to make sure that you inactivate all the enzymes before you start to sparge, otherwise they'll keep working while you're sparging and you run the risk of drying your beer out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #12
BrewDoc22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Tomorrow is brew day with my Dad. We're doing a vanilla cream porter. Since tomorrow will be my first batch using the new 10-gal. Igloo cylindrical cooler, I think I will go ahead and stick to the same methods I had been using for the last few batches (a.k.a. no mash-out) just to see if the new set-up provides greater efficiency. I'll be brewing again in about 10 days, so I will try the mash-out for that one (i'm a scientist at heart, so I need to isolate my variables). I'll post back here tomorrow once I get an efficiency reading.

Cheers!

Old 06-17-2012, 12:49 AM   #13
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

What kind of water?

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #14
BrewDoc22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've been using filtered spring water for all of my brews. I use 5.2 for pH control. I would say that water is the one thing that I have yet to really look into or tweak with my brewing.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 AM   #15
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewDoc22 View Post
I've been using filtered spring water for all of my brews. I use 5.2 for pH control. I would say that water is the one thing that I have yet to really look into or tweak with my brewing.
I would stop using the pH5.2 stuff. It's buffering capacity is minimal and it adds tons of sodium. I had problems with low efficiency using Durham city water which is very low in calcium (like your spring water). Amylase enzymes need calcium. I would make some adjustments based on Bru'n water and see if that helps, and dump the pH5.2 stuff.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 06-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
BrewDoc22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I would stop using the pH5.2 stuff. It's buffering capacity is minimal and it adds tons of sodium. I had problems with low efficiency using Durham city water which is very low in calcium (like your spring water). Amylase enzymes need calcium. I would make some adjustments based on Bru'n water and see if that helps, and dump the pH5.2 stuff.
Thanks for the advice. I've read through a bit of the web site you posted and it seems like it has a lot of good info. I'm realizing I shouldn't have been so cavalier about my brewing water. I don't have time to gather all the necessary additives and testing strips before tomorrow morning, but I will most definitely use this info for my next beer.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
BrewDoc22
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the new set-up worked well! I achieved 75% eff. (15% better than I have ever done).

I think the combination of the cylindrical mash tun plus a long, slow fly sparge (~45 min. long) were the two difference makers.

My goal for the next brew is to work on mash water chemistry.

Cheers!

Quick Reply