*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Absolute Dumb Bonehead Mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Dunerunner
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default Absolute Dumb Bonehead Mistake, Fixed!!

I brewed an all grain Foreign Extra Stout last week and fermentation quit after three days. FV temp at 67 degrees, dipped to 64 after fmt stopped then warmed back up to 68 with no activity. Wyeast Irish Ale yeast, repitched on day three with no appreciable results, still no activity.

So, you ask; what was the Dumb Bonehead Mistake?

While preparing the strike water, ProMash called for a strike temperature just over 200 degrees. Grains at 52, and nearly 30 lbs; it is a ten gallon batch.

After adding the grains, the temperature drop was not as great as the software predicted and dough in was done at 180 degrees before I could add enough water to get temps down to 155. Needless to say, most conversion took place at 180 and I am expecting a rather sweet, low alcohol stout as a result.

Glad the batch only cost me $60!!

Live and learn, I will never mash in with a strike temperature over 180 degrees!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 108

what was the OG and FG? I've had beers ferment out in 3 days.. had them take 2 weeks too.. if you had a healthy starter with good aeration its very possible it was simply done.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

ive never done it, but you could pick up some beano or amylase and add it in. it should at least get you some more fermentables.

Old 04-26-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4788 Times on 4400 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I am confused.

I get that you struck in at 200 and bottomed out at 180. But you say you added water to cool down to 155 yet insist that "most of the conversion took place at 180".

This stuff is not instant. In fact, at 180 it's more likely that denaturization occured rather than conversion. The only way to quantify conversion is by measuring available sugars (even tho you won't know the matrix) into the boiler.

Obviously you had fermentable sugars by way of 3 day fermentation.

If anything, the bone head mistake may be the lack of measurements here, assumed by omission.

The ONLY real way to know anything regarding fermentation is to take readings and determine what degree of attenuation you are at when fermentation has stopped. Otherwise you just don't know. 3 days of fermentation is actually pretty healthy. It could just be done.

Do you have pre and post fermentation gravity readings?

Old 04-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Calculated OG from ProMash was 17 Plato, yield was 14, and that was the starting gravity. This is the first time I have brewer this recipe, my own. I have added more pale malts to the recipe and wil watch my temps closer next time. I'm one week into fermentation, and do not plan to rack into secondary.

I'll take a gravity and see what it is, to be perfectly honest I've never had a beer ferment this quickly, ever.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:00 PM   #6
beerkrump
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Why did you "repitch" the yeast?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Mysticmead
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunerunner View Post
Calculated OG from ProMash was 17 Plato, yield was 14, and that was the starting gravity. This is the first time I have brewer this recipe, my own. I have added more pale malts to the recipe and wil watch my temps closer next time. I'm one week into fermentation, and do not plan to rack into secondary.

I'll take a gravity and see what it is, to be perfectly honest I've never had a beer ferment this quickly, ever.
soooo... starting gravity was 1.057.. let us know the FG

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #8
Dunerunner
Recipes 

Just went out and squeezed between the boat and my FV to get a sample. Shot a gravity and it is at 10 Plato, 1.040. Still yeasty, and not as sweet as I would expect, but only 2.25 ABV.

Old 04-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
erockomania
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

57 og from 30lbs of grain to 10gal? You sure?

Old 04-27-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would assume that you denatured most of the enzymes with your 180F mash, grab some Amylase Enzyme from the LHBS and add it to the fermenter, that should help out. Also doesn't sound like your extraction was the best.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Quick Reply