New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > About to Toss a Brew (High Mash temp)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Hoppybeav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default About to Toss a Brew (High Mash temp)

... for the first time ever.

A few weeks back I brewed an AG German Wheat and mashed way too high. I was targeting 153-154, but because I was distracted with several other things I didn't notice that the temp was actually around 163-164. Normally I check, stir and recheck a couple times to ensure the temp hasn't crept, but in this case, I mashed-in and left for an hour. When I returned I saw the temp was 162 (I lose about 1-2 degrees an hour on warm days.) I checked for conversion and it appeared complete, so I finished my boil + additions, cooled and pitched. Fermentation was fast starting and vigorous, but finished in 2 days. I checked the FG and it was near my target but surprisingly a little low.

I assumed it would be a little sweeter and full bodied, but instead it's dryer and astringent. I racked to secondary and let it sit another ten days. The astringency is less, but frankly it still tastes like crap. It's thin and astringent.

Today, I'm either going to dump it or put it in the garage for a few weeks and see if it improves.

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2012, 09:58 PM   #2
shelly_belly
Someday Never Comes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Gelatin works great for removing astringency.

Old 09-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
whitehause
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I think typically a high mash temp will create more unfermentable sugars. Since you hit your FG then I would say that end of it is all right. The astringent taste might be tannins from the high mash temp, but I was under the impression you needed 170 or so to really extract them.
Maybe sit on it a few weeks and see what happens.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern
Hoppybeav Likes This 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:05 AM   #4
Hoppybeav
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I will look into gelatin as a possible solution, thanks.
Whitehause, I was assuming the same thing, that's why I'm confused by what I'm tasting. Instead of sweeter and fuller-bodied, it's thin and astringent.
I didn't dump it (yet) so I may try cold crashing it and/or trying the gelatin. I haven't quit yet.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 AM   #5
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I did the same thing with a SMaSH brew, walked away and the temp crept up to 180! It tasted like crap the first couple weeks in the keg but it mellowed out big time around the 4th week. I killed the keg and my bro in law and father in law really liked it. My wife couldn't drink it but I didn't care, more beer for me.

Quick Reply