HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 94% efficiency-Even possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
RCCOLA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default 94% efficiency-Even possible?

I read a thread where a brewer claimed this efficiency by tightening up his grain crush.I went on my brew calculator and entered in 90%(highest it would go)and came up w/ 1.050 for 7 1/2 lb 2-row. The same amt. of malt syrup only came out to 1.054.Is this one of those "Mine's bigger than yours" boasts or is it even possible?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Well lots of brewers hit high 80s regularly.
I once got 90 plus.

Was it a fluke or miss calculation. Who knows.
I've never go it since.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
EvilTOJ

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I got something like 92% on the 999 barleywine, but I did 16 gallons of runnings for a 5 gallon batch. Yes I boiled a long time.

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Old 11-30-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTOJ View Post
I got something like 92% on the 999 barleywine, but I did 16 gallons of runnings for a 5 gallon batch. Yes I boiled a long time.
Evil I think you made barleywine extract

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 11-30-2008, 11:53 AM   #5
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's possible. Even with batch sparging, but more likely with good fly sparging as batch sparging has an inherent efficiency limit. If you want to get this efficiency with batch sparging you need to make sure your conversion efficiency in the mash is 100% (crush, pH, mash thickness and time effect this). If that is not the case you will leave efficiency behind. Now you need a lauter efficiency of 94% plus. If you want to get this with batch sparging you need to brew a beer with a small grist otherwise to much wort get trapped in the grains between each sparge. According to my calculations you need to be sparging twice.

But keep in mind that brewhouse efficiency is not an indication of beer quality. While possible to do with batch sparging, I would consider that high of batch sparging efficiency oversparging.

Kai

Old 11-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #6
Impale
Recipes 

I often get 90+, I sparge super slow with pretty hot water. My grain comes precrushed from the maltster. The mash out seems to be important to.

It can in fact be a bit of a pita in the end of the sparge since you need to watch your gravity so you dont oversparge.
And getting it all into the fermenter can be troublesome.

Old 11-30-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 851 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Looking back at my notes, my two highest brewhouse efficiencies have been just under 92%. That means my mash/lauter efficiencies were at about 94% so yes, it's obviously possible. I've got my process dialed in to 88% right now for target OGs of 1.050. I drop the expected efficiency down by about 1% for ever .05 points higher than that. I do miss it by a great margin if I'm really lazy about my sparge temps though. (batch sparging FYI).

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

Old 11-30-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
moger777
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think pro breweries get really high efficiencies. I've yet to break 65 but my beer always tastes good.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moger777 View Post
I think pro breweries get really high efficiencies. I've yet to break 65 but my beer always tastes good.
I've just recently surpassed the 62-65% efficiency range on my last two batches (both at 70). Heating up my batch sparge water above 190 to get the grainbed temperature up at the end to about 168 makes a difference in my opinion.

Old 11-30-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I got 92% brewhouse efficiency on my last batch. Crushed at 0.025", water was a perfect 5.2 pH thanks to RO/DI + custom salts, I always dough in for 20 minutes at 104F which is purported to add 1% efficiency, mash out at 170F, and then very slowly fly sparge with 170F water. Another key here is decoction mashing. All that water I don't have to add as an infusion is held in abeyance for fly sparging. Also I can fly sparge with a little extra water because of my 90 minute boil.

This wasn't a small beer either. My OG into the fermenter was 1.074!

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Last edited by ChemE; 11-30-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply