Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 93% efficency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

Default 93% efficency

Egad. 93% efficiency. Nuts! Target was 1.056. Ended up with 1.064. Going to have to dilute for my Czech pils will be a tad to high in alcohol. I over boiled this one a bit anyway so a slight dilution probably won't hurt it even if my water is not a bit low.

I may have over boiled a tiny bit, but only by 2 quarts tops (10g batch). So even then my efficiency is about 90%.

Fixing my grinder has done wonders. And it seems my system doesn't mind the finer grind either. I do step rests with gum and debranching rest.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 04-25-2007 at 06:33 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

That's unbelieveable, here I am struggling to hit 75!!

Old 04-25-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Before I fixed my grinder I was getting 60%. lol. But even when I first built it I was getting 80% tops. When I fixed it I made the gap smaller than original and I have not had any problems with sparging. The husks look torn from the grain but not broken into small pieces so I should be tannin free.

Now I just need a method of swirling the wort when the chiller is in there. I'm so tempted to by a high temp food grade pump, but probably shouldn't be spending the money. (though then I could lower my burners on my brew tree to a reachable height).

Edit: A guy I met recently who happens to have a 600L (6 BBL) system in his back yard... Says the key to building grinders is that the wheels should be SMOOTH and one should spin faster than the other. In my case I'm doing that my accident since one is smaller than the other.

His wheels are huge (looked to be about 12"-14" diamter) grinders to microbreweries all around North America for couple grand.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

Last edited by Denny's Evil Concoctions; 04-25-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
Pabst Blue Robot

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I pulled a similar boner the other day. I entered my OG into promash and got 77% for a 10 gallon batch, but then went back to my fermentors and realized there was close to 12 gallons in there. At least the beer should still be in the neaighborhood, gravitywise. I hit 92% a few batches back and luckily that was planned out as a very malty low gravity beer to begin with!

Come to think about it, the only thing to two batches had in common was the ambitious stirring lackey....

Old 04-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #5
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

What kind of manifold are you using? Batch sparge or fly?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #6
ski36t
Recipes 

[QUOTE=
Now I just need a method of swirling the wort when the chiller is in there. I'm so tempted to by a high temp food grade pump, but probably shouldn't be spending the money. (though then I could lower my burners on my brew tree to a reachable height).
[/QUOTE]

I know this doesn't relate to the post at hand but I thought I could help with this comment. I have built a wort stirrer out of an old ice cream maker motor. It is so simple and works great. The big ice cream stir paddle is perfect for stirring and with mine it fits just inside the wort chiller. It required a little fiddling to mount it on a lid and some work to keep the stirrer on but it works great now.

http://home.swbell.net/bufkin/old_chiller.htm

similar to that but with a different stirrer.

Up Next: thinking another Hefe
Primary 1: empty
Secondary 1: Fat Tire Clone
Secondary 2: Cider experiment
Kegged: #9, Circus Boy Hefe Clone,
Bottled: CBC Nut Brown Clone, SN Pale Ale Clone, , Two Beagle Dry Stout, Mill Run Stout (first AG), Belgian Tripel
Aging: Hennepin Clone, Blue Ridge Mountain Cider, Maple Syrup Mead
Come and Gone: Nut Brown Ale, Old Man Winter Ale, American Premium Lager, California Ginger Steam Beer, Bavarian Weizenbier

Old 04-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Cool ski.

I fly sparge. Copper slotted manifold. The brew before this one was 60% wheat, 5% rye. had no problems.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #8
Sir Humpsalot

Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 22

You don't happen to have a picture of your manifold, do you?

Absent that, maybe you have a ruler and can tell me the specs on your tubing? What size? How thick is each slot (on average), how many per foot of tubing? How far around?

The more I get into the specs, I say bugger. It's got to be the crush I'm getting at the LHBS.... Grrr.... I mean, it looks like a good crush to me, but.... I'm happy if I nudge 70% efficiency...

Old 04-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toot
The more I get into the specs, I say bugger. It's got to be the crush I'm getting at the LHBS.... Grrr.... I mean, it looks like a good crush to me, but.... I'm happy if I nudge 70% efficiency...
That's why I went ahead and bought a crankandstein (which should arrive tomorrow). My eff was horrible and I kept thinking it was something I did wrong. Now I'm excited about my next brew (which might be this weekend!)
Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:50 PM   #10
morbid53
Recipes 

I also have a hard time with my eficiency usualy around 60% though I found out P.H. of water is to high I got some P.H. 5.2 and will find out this weekend if that solves my problem hope so if not maybe my grind I use a corona style grinder wich should be fine but I dunno

Quick Reply