New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 78% on my first AG - Cream of 3 Crops

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
develope32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

@jrfuda

What type of false bottom do you use in the rubbermaid? I have one and my efficiency isn't that high.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 02:43 AM   #12
jrfuda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by develope32 View Post
What type of false bottom do you use in the rubbermaid? I have one and my efficiency isn't that high.
I used a 10" SS false bottom... I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-stainless-steel-false-bottom.html

Old 06-02-2011, 05:44 PM   #13
develope32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfuda View Post
I used a 10" SS false bottom... I'm pretty sure it was this one:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/10-stainless-steel-false-bottom.html
I use something really similar. What size tubing do you use in your mash tun, and what size are your barbs? Just wondering if this is the difference. I get a pretty good efficiency, 75-78. Just wondering..

Old 06-03-2011, 04:36 PM   #14
ChemE
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Read up on yeast washing to get your costs even lower. I loving making small fast beers to keep my house yeast bank full. I can't even recall how many 5 gallon batches I've made off the last Wyeast 1968 I bought! You can probably push your efficiency up another 10 points or so too. That will further drop your costs. For an oft overlooked technique to fine tune efficiency check out my write up on graduating carboys in my signature.

My Super Efficient 5-Gallon Mash Lauter TunGraduating CarboysLeaf Hop Absorption Measured
Primary - Bemused Bitter, Munich Saaz SMaSH
Secondary - Air
Bottled - Oatmeal Stout 2011, Apfelwein, Withdrawn Wheat, Bourbon Barrel Barleywine SMaSH, Christmas Ale 2010, Perplexed Pale Ale

Old 06-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
jrfuda
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by develope32 View Post
I use something really similar. What size tubing do you use in your mash tun, and what size are your barbs? Just wondering if this is the difference. I get a pretty good efficiency, 75-78. Just wondering..
Sorry it took me so long to answer, and I'm merely replying, not answering, because I have no idea of the answer - been deployed since January so I don't have access to my gear to take measurements.

I bought the MLT from midwest already assembled, as I could not find any 10 gal bev coolers local at the time and it was the same price to just buy their's already put together... that might help with the specs you're asking about. I've since built a RIMS to go with it (not used on the batch in this thread) and added a few other bells and whistles from bargain fittings (an analog thermometer and a return fitting for the RIMS). I think I brewed with it twice more before I moved and deployed... I have a lot of brewing to do when I get back next year!

Quick Reply