Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 70% wheat and no rice hulls

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 AM   #1
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default 70% wheat and no rice hulls

And no stuck sparge either.

I just got done with the first Weissbier of the season and I'm impresses how easy it was to lauter a 70% wheat malt grist. I have done 60% before. It took just 30min with batch sparging, which is well in the shadow of the time it takes to bring it to a boil. I could have been faster if I would have watched it.

But I did make sure that the run-off is not to fast and I conditioned the malt. with 24 mil, the crush was also less agressive than usual. The conditioning even preserved some of the outer layer of the wheat malt, which served like husks. But milling this took longer since conditioned malt just doesn't fall though the hopper as easily as dry malt .

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Most I have done is 60%, and no stuck sparges either. I'm not sold on using rice hulls and im not sure I ever will be.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 51 Posts

My HW recipe is over 60% wheat and I don't use rice hulls either.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 04-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

I've done a few 70/30's as well. I used rice hulls on one that I fly sparged, but the 2 I batch sparged I didn't bother. I used my normal crush (corona style mill) and didn't condition the malt at all. I think my rectangular cooler helps in my case, there is much less grain bed pressure caused by weight.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 04-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 399 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Here's a question.

Does doing a protein rest for a wheat-heavy recipe impact how easily it can be sparged? Or more generally, does the mash schedule (doing decoctions, or just a multi-step infusion mash) have any effect?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I did a hefe with 67% wheat, no rice hulls, no stuck sparge.

Kaiser--how did your efficiency turn out with that much wheat? Did you feel like the conditioning helped it at all?

Old 04-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 72 Posts

Looks like it doesn't seem to be that big of a deal after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Does doing a protein rest for a wheat-heavy recipe impact how easily it can be sparged? Or more generally, does the mash schedule (doing decoctions, or just a multi-step infusion mash) have any effect?

I don't know, I didn't do a protein rest either and the only decoction was a thin decoction for mash-out.

Looking at the average malt specs for Weyermann Wheat and Pilsner, I see that wheat can have an up to 70% higher viscosity than Pilsner malt. This could be mitigated by beta glucan rests and protein rests, But I didn't seem to need this. One of the reasons for omitting the protein rest for me was to see what kind of body and head retention I will get without it. The next one I'll brew will have a ferulic acid rest and will transition throug the protoelytic range as well. I can then compare if the head retention and body are significantly different.

Kai

Old 04-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 615 Times on 357 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanh1801
Most I have done is 60%, and no stuck sparges either. I'm not sold on using rice hulls and im not sure I ever will be.
Slightly .

First time I used rice hulls, I picked up 4 gravity points and gained 7% efficiency.

I just think anytime you have a "fluffier" grain bed, sparging is more effective.

I'd recommend everyone try using hulls at least once in one of their recipes. They are now as much a part of my brewing "gear" as PH buffer, charcoal water filter and whirflok tablets.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 04-11-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
Ryanh1801

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have used them before, and never noticed any sort of difference. (Knocking on wood).. Ill probably have a stuck sparge today now.

Old 04-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #10
EinGutesBier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've never heard of using such a large amount of wheat in the grain bill. What type of beer does that create? More importantly, what are the benefits and drawbacks in a beer made with that type of grain bill?

Quick Reply