Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is a 7&1/2 gallon pot big enough to brew a 5 gallon all grain batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
BonzoAPD
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Is a 7&1/2 gallon pot big enough to brew a 5 gallon all grain batch?

Is a 7&1/2 gallon pot big enough to brew a 5 gallon all grain batch? Not doing BIAB, using a 52qt mash tun.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
Toy4Rick
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have an 8 gal pot and its just barely big enough. I start with 6.76 gal and once it starts to boil its right up to the top. IMO a 10 gal pot is a must

Good luck
Rick

If I can't ride it... 1997 Goldwing
If I can't shoot it... PX4 Storm, Browning Buckmark, S&W 357, Ruger 10-22
or drink it... my Homebrew

Why bother

Old 09-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #3
uatuba
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Not likely...even at 6.6 gallons, you only have less than half a gallon of space. I wouldn't try it.

Old 09-08-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
Transamguy77
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Do you already have it? If so it's doable not necessarily ideal, you just have to watch it like a hawk. If you don't own it yet I would recommend the largest pot you can afford. When I was BIAB that is what I used so I know it's possible.

Once I moved to 5 gallon AG batches I moved to 10 gallon ones once I realized how easy it was. And if you think now that you have no interest in making 10 gallons at a time (like I thought) but you realize that for only an hour or so more to double your batch you will be glad you bought that giant pot.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
eltorrente
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 33

10 gallon is a must. If I were you I would at least buy "Fermcap" - which is a great product that will help prevent boil overs. You just add a couple drops for every gallon that you are boiling, and it really helps out. In addition, I would stand guard with a spray bottle of water, with my hand on the burner control.

You could do it if you are really careful - I would probably set a fairly low boil initially, then increase the burner as it boils off. You could then simply add water mid-way through the boil to ensure that your rigorous boil time is adequate, if you are using a low boil initially. You want a rigorous boil for as long as you can, but you may not be able to crank it up till mid-way through or so.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use a 7.5 gallon for 5 gallon full boil batches. As stated above. Use fermcap s and watch it like a hawk. It is possible but I'd go bigger if I didn't already have the 7.5gallon pot.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 09-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #7
mysteryshrimp
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I often do 6 gallon batches in an 8 gallon pot. What you are describing is possible to do even without fermcap, but you do need to be very attentive and know that you will lose a little bit every once in a while and will likely have to relight the burner at least once during the boil.

Primary: Too many sours to mention.
Aging: Mead, Flanders Red, Belgian Dark.
Serving: Too many to mention. Dry Cider, East Coast IPA and Old Ale are my current standards.
BJCP ID: F0785, Certified Judge

Old 09-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
ResumeMan
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

I use a converted pony keg - 7.75. I start the boil at about 6.75 gal.

It works fine, though as noted above it requires some careful attention, and fermcap is very helpful. Once the boil gets going it stops foaming, you can turn the heat way down, and the risk of a boilover is gone.

Larger than 7.5 gal is definitely not a must. It just requires a careful start to the boil.

I am not drunk! I am by nature a loud, friendly, clumsy person!

Old 09-08-2013, 05:05 AM   #9
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 631 Times on 538 Posts
Likes Given: 168

I used a 7.5 gallon pot and would start the boil with near 7 gallons to boil to 5.25. It is doable but you really have to start with a very mild boil until some is lost to evaporation. I would definitely suggest that you do this outside as it is nearly impossible not to get some what I would call slop over. You get a burst of bubbles and a wave slops over the side.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
biodarwin
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I have used a 7.5 gallon pot for all of my brews. While it works, its not very easy and watching for boil overs is a complete pain.

Quick Reply