Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is a 7 1/2 gallon pot big enough

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
MMW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely go bigger if you can. My 30 qt works, but I'd really like something bigger. Here is a 40 qt for <$35. The 60 qt is about $45 .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #12
petep1980
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The problem is you have to sit and watch the boil the entire time. Or at least I do. I tried once to keep a gallon of wort to the side to top in the boil as it evaporated, but that didn't well because you'd lose your boil every time you added more cool wort.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:11 AM   #13
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

With cash to burn, go bigger for convenience.

With no cash to burn, 7.5 is absolutely fine and dandy.

The trash heap has spoken. Neih.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 AM   #14
Zen_Brew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
You guys advising all this caution are CRAZY. I use a 30qt from a turkey fryer kit as my primary boil pot and it works like a charm. I do 6.5 gallon boils in it no sweat. Just watch it around the hot break.
Not all pots are created equal. Some pots that claim 30 qt are 30 qt plus a little breathing space. Some like mine are 30 qt right to the very rim with cool water. Hot water expands and uses more volume than cool water. My 30 qt pot would be right at the rim with 6.5 gallons of 212 degree water. YMMV.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-03-2009, 03:27 AM   #15
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK,

I'll try it with my 7 1/2 pot, as I am short on cash. I have been using it with full boil extracts, starting with about six and a half then adding additions and boil off leaves me exactly five gallons. I'll probably be fine then. If anything I'll have to top off my primary since its a 90 min boil. I picked up a granite pot to use to collect first runnings while I heat the sparg water for the fly sparg today at Wally World (damn I hate that place) as well as two giant tubs to improve my swamp cooler setup. I ordered "Stepping up to All Grain" and "Low Tech Lagering" and plan to build that cooler in the near future, but they will do for now. I've been running high on my fermentation temps using really large dish pans as swamp coolers, but not too bad. This should really help in the short run.

If it doesn't work out I'll use that link to the Sam's Club pot. Thanks.

Bill

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 07-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #16
BillTheSlink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_Brew View Post
Not all pots are created equal. Some pots that claim 30 qt are 30 qt plus a little breathing space. Some like mine are 30 qt right to the very rim with cool water. Hot water expands and uses more volume than cool water. My 30 qt pot would be right at the rim with 6.5 gallons of 212 degree water. YMMV.
At 6 1/2 gallons boiling gently, plus all extract additions mine is about and inch and 1/2 from the rim. I use a blowtorch type burner outside, so the worst that could happen is a little extra scrubbing.

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Old 07-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #17
Rubberband
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
You guys advising all this caution are CRAZY. I use a 30qt from a turkey fryer kit as my primary boil pot and it works like a charm. I do 6.5 gallon boils in it no sweat. Just watch it around the hot break.
I certainly may be crazy but I am also lazy and cautious as well. I have been boiling 4.5 gallon batches for 3.75 gallon batched in a 5 gallon pot. It is a total PITA but I like AG brewing so that is what I was doing. I recently purchased a 10 gallon Polarware kettle and it well worth the extra cash. Williams sells a pretty well priced 10 gallon kettle at a very reasonable price. Sure it can be done but regretting will cost more in the end because most will end up with a 10 and a 7 gallon kettle.

zum Wohl

"A man who carries a cat by the tail, learns something he can learn in no other way." - Mark Twain

Old 07-03-2009, 11:53 PM   #18
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberband View Post
I certainly may be crazy but I am also lazy and cautious as well. I have been boiling 4.5 gallon batches for 3.75 gallon batched in a 5 gallon pot. It is a total PITA but I like AG brewing so that is what I was doing. I recently purchased a 10 gallon Polarware kettle and it well worth the extra cash. Williams sells a pretty well priced 10 gallon kettle at a very reasonable price. Sure it can be done but regretting will cost more in the end because most will end up with a 10 and a 7 gallon kettle.
Yes, not always easy to see at first, but true.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #19
jp1316
Recipes 

I used a 7 gallon kettle for a long time and it was a real pain always watching the boil and constantly adjusting the flame; until I discovered Fermcap. With that I was able get a nice rolling boil without any worries of a boil over. Foam Control (FermCapS)(1 oz) | MoreBeer

Old 07-04-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a 7.5 gallon SS brewpot, like yours, exactly to the rim. I used it for extract brewing, and decided that it would serve for AG until something better came along. I wasn't even going to try to fight boilover with 6.5 gal of wort, though, so I just did some research (on this forum, among other places), and came up with the answer: Fermcap-S. Ten drops in the boil, no boilover, it doesn't even try to foam. Believe it. And since I don't go for the extreme "volcanic" boils, just a nice barely rolling boil, I have no problems.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Quick Reply