New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Is a 7 1/2 gallon pot big enough

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
BillTheSlink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Is a 7 1/2 gallon pot big enough

Generally speaking,

is a 7 1/2 gallon pot big enough for all grain. I am getting ready to do my first batch. I will be fly sparing and know I'll have to get another kettle to drain the mash in, but was hoping this size will do for boiling. I just don't want to spend a lot more money. This would be for five gallon batches.

Bill

Drinking: Ed Worts Apfelwein, Store bought Bass, Salvator. Can't brew in Winter and I needed bottles.

Primary: Bass Clone Austin Home Brew Supply
Went down in a blaze of glory due to mold infection.

ON DECK: Moosebutt Faux Lager

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 03:25 AM   #2
jasonh
Recipes 

You can do it...I used the 30qt that came with my turkey fryer on my first couple batches, and it worked alright...just be REALLY careful about boilovers. The first time I did it, I had a bit of a boilover, but the other two times, I just sprayed it a lot with a spray bottle full of cold water around the hot break and was fine.

I did move up to a 10gal pot after those three batches though...and it's much less of a hassle.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
CharlosCarlies
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

It'll be REALLY close. I'd definitely invest in some foam control if you want to try it.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:44 AM   #4
Zen_Brew
Zensunni Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Like Jason said you can do it, but it is tight. I have a 7-1/2 gallon stainless pot and it is exactly 7-1/2 gallons to the rim with cold water. Water expands when hot so the first time I put 6 gallons of hot wort in it I was like "holy smokes" as it was less than an inch from the rim. You have to be careful of boilover and watch it extra close. I started only putting about 5 to 5-1/2 gallons in for the boil and topping off near the end after that, or at least waiting till after the hot break to take the water level up.

I have now switched to a 9 gallon brew pot and it is much easier to manage the boil in.

Using the mind to look for reality is delusion. Using your senses to look for reality is awareness.

"One time I was so desperate for a beer I snuck into the football stadium and ate the dirt under the bleachers." Homer Simpson

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Hoppiness

Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
BrewBrain
Aleforger

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

It's all I've ever used. With 7.5 gallons of liquid I have about 1/4 inch of room to spare. i just monitor the flame and have very little trouble.

Bigger is certainly better, but I've prioritized that towards the bottom of my budgeting wish list.

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Old 07-02-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Moose777

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sometimes I boil off a few gallons so start with about 7.. a 7.5 g pot with be a PITA in my opinion. Can you do it? Yes but why not get a 10 gallon you'll be happy you did.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:56 AM   #7
Spludge
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been using an eight gallon pot, without issue. Unless your doing a really big beer with a high volume of running's which needs to be boiled down, it shouldn't be an issue.

What are you using for heat? If you have a propane burner I would go bigger. If you are doing it on an electric stove your not going to want to try doing over 7 gallons anyways because it would take forever and you can't really get a rolling boil.

Schadenfreud Brewing
Beer and hockey, the reasons I wake up every afternoon

Fermenting
Jamil's Russian Imperial Stout, RIS Partigyle, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Denny Conn RyeIPA, BierMuncher's B.W. #2

Bottle Conditioning/Drinking
Jamil's ESB, Honey Raspberry,EdWort's Bavarian Hefe, Oatmeal Stout, Jamil's Amber Ale, BierMuncher's Belgian Wit, Red Ale, Kitchen Sink, Yeasty Beasty Hefe, American Pale, Zone Zero Black, Maibock

Foster School of Business

Husky Ice Hockey

Last edited by Spludge; 07-02-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 7 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 333 Times on 285 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sure it can be done w/ a little extra effort. Foam control drops, or I have also heard of people using generic gas control drops from the pharmacy, they claim same it is the same thing, can't remember what it is actually ?mycelon?

You can also reserve a gallon of the second runnings, and add it during the boil, or you can just start off up near the rim if ya got the guts for it.

You can aslo just scale the batch back to say 3 or four gallons.

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 07-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 390 Times on 316 Posts
Likes Given: 41

You guys advising all this caution are CRAZY. I use a 30qt from a turkey fryer kit as my primary boil pot and it works like a charm. I do 6.5 gallon boils in it no sweat. Just watch it around the hot break.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Buffman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I recommend 10+ gallons. I boil my hoppier styles for 90 minutes, so I start with about 7.5 gallons of wort. With my 9-gallon kettle, the boil comes pretty close to the top at the hot break and every hop addition. A few drops of Fermcap keeps it down some, but I still have to pay close attention. I usually keep one hand on the gas regulator to cut the heat if it gets too close for comfort. A bigger pot just gives you more flexibility.

Quick Reply