Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 60% Efficiency... Why The Face??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
rancidcrabtree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 60% Efficiency... Why The Face??

I can't figure this one out, here's what I did:

8 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Carapils

All grains where milled by myself at my LHBS, they weren't exactly flour but the crush was pretty fine, each kernel was broken into at least three pieces. Mashed 60 mins in 5 gallon rubbermaid with 12.5 qts @ 150 (at least that is what my digital thermometer read from the top of the cooler after I mixed grains in). Stirred mash every 10 mins for about 1 minute each time. Got two gallons from first running, 2.75 with second, 2 with third. Pre-boil gravity was 1.032 (I verified on both refractometer and hydrometer), post boil was 1.038, I ended with almost exactly 5.5 gallons. I was hoping for at least 70% efficiency, which would put my post boil gravity around 1.046... Any ideas on what I did or didn't do to end up with such a low efficiency?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
rancidcrabtree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 60% Efficiency... Why The Face??

Moved this over from the all-grain & partial mash forum...

8 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Carapils

All grains where milled by myself at my LHBS, they weren't exactly flour but the crush was pretty fine, each kernel was broken into at least three pieces. Mashed 60 mins in 5 gallon rubbermaid with 12.5 qts @ 150 (at least that is what my digital thermometer read from the top of the cooler after I mixed grains in). Stirred mash every 10 mins for about 1 minute each time. Got two gallons from first running, 2.75 with second, 2 with third. Pre-boil gravity was 1.032 (I verified on both refractometer and hydrometer), post boil was 1.038, I ended with almost exactly 5.5 gallons. I was hoping for at least 70% efficiency, which would put my post boil gravity around 1.046... Any ideas on what I did or didn't do to end up with such a low efficiency?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

How well did you stir the sparge water additions before draining?

-a.

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidcrabtree View Post

8 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Carapils

How did you sparge?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
gmcapone
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

8 lbs 2 Row
1 lb Crystal 10
1 lb Carapils

Not sure of your set up, but why would you stir every 10 minutes? You're letting the heat out and disturbing the grain bed. You should stir well initially and let it sit. If you let too much heat out, that could be your answer.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #6
rancidcrabtree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm not sure why I stirred so much during the mash, I guess I thought it would help get more sugar out of the grains. Set up is pretty basic, I batch sparged at 170 degrees and let it soak for 10 mins each time before draining but I didn't stir at all before draining...

Old 12-20-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4472 Times on 3254 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
I'm not sure why I stirred so much during the mash, I guess I thought it would help get more sugar out of the grains. Set up is pretty basic, I batch sparged at 170 degrees and let it soak for 10 mins each time before draining but I didn't stir at all before draining...
When you added the batch sparge additions, did you stir like your life depended on it, and then stir some more? That's critical to "rinse" the sugars.

Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
rancidcrabtree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

No stirring at all, I thought letting it soak for 10 mins would do the job but obviously my lousy efficiency says otherwise! I'll make sure I stir like crazy next brew day and hopefully that will take care of the problem. I've pretty much come to terms with this being a dry and hoppy session beer, do you think adding a pound or two of honey to up the ABV a bit would be a bad idea?

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM   #9
Buna_Bere
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did you calibrate your refractometer? I'd check your hydrometer too.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
rancidcrabtree
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I calibrated it with some D.I. water from the tech college so it should be pretty accurate. Also, I checked my results against my hyrdrometer just in case there was a problem with the refractometer, it also confirmed that my process sucks.

Quick Reply