Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5gal or 10gal Tun?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
Hoosier
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 5gal or 10gal Tun?

Hello Everyone. I am putting together FlyGuy's DIY mash tun and I found a real good deal on a 5 gallon water cooler. I can order the 10 gallon ones on line but the price is nearly double. Should I get the 5 gallon cooler or will I just want to upgrade right away? Thanks in advance.

Proud supporter of Brett, Lacto, Pedio and all the other critters your brewing friends warn you about.
www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Equipment depends on what you are going to be brewing both in batch size and gravity size. A 5 gallon cooler may not hold enough grain to do a barley wine, but... if you are never going to brew 10 gallons of beer and only brew low gravity then you would waste your money on the bigger cooler. You have to think about what you will probably do.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 09-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recommend at least a 10 gallon...it just enables you to do more types of beers. The first MLT I had was 5 gallon, and I always had to worry about being able to mash a certain recipe. Now I've got a 10 gallon round cooler I just buy the grain and don't worry. If price is really an issue, you can get a cheap rectangular cooler for much less than the round ones. You can still use the same SS braid filter, or build a solid copper manifold. I prefer the copper!

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 09-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 166 Times on 151 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A five gallon cooler would only allow up to 12 pounds of grain @ 1.25qts per pound. Not the best option for a mashtun if you want to make bigger beers. If price is a concern go for the rectangular cooler. I can make the smallest of beers all the way up to a monster barleywine.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #5
comj49
Recipes 

I just found a 5 gallon round just like Flyguys pic for $15 at Mendards. I had to get it since the cheapest 10 gallon i found was $39. But, i am not doing full boils yet, only 3 gallon, so I probably won't even need all the space in a 5 gallon. At least i can mash close to 5 lbs of base grain while steeping any specialty grains, which cuts down on the extract cost a little.

Lois: "Oh, my God! You can only play the piano when you're drunk!"
Peter: "Now that's not true! I can also vomit, fall down and make dirty calls to your sister when I'm drunk!"

Primary#1- Pale Ale
Primary#2- empty
Primary#3- empty
Bottle conditioning- Citrus Wheat
Drinking-Mild, Kolsch, Sweet Stout
Upcoming- Red Rocket clone, robust porter

Old 09-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #6
DeathBrewer
Maniacally Malty
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 214 Times on 119 Posts

10 gallon...not much difference in price and you will eventually use it.

"Death is always with us." - Brewpastor

Quote:
DIAICYLF
We will remember...

Old 09-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

one thing to bear in mind is that if your cooler is WAY too big for the batch you're mashing, the small thermal mass and large head space is going to make it cool off faster so it may not maintain temps very well if your cooler insulation isn't great. partial mashes with 5ish pounds of grain are going to be WAY undersized for a 10 gallon cooler.

If you're going to be doing AG batches in the near future and are thinking of doing big beers and/or 10 gallon batches soon, then the 10 gallon cooler isn't a bad idea, but it really doesn't hurt to use a more appropriately sized cooler in the mean time, ESPECIALLY if you can swap the valve/manifold hardware into a bigger cooler later.

I started AG with a 5 gallon rubbermaid and used it for quite a while before getting a 60qt ice cube for 10g batches. The valve/braid swapped directly into the new one, so I can use it on either one - so I keep the 5g around for smaller batches.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:55 PM   #8
salad 419
Recipes 

I have a 5 gallon and I'm not really satisfied. I've been getting real good efficiency, but I like bigger beers and the 5 gallon just doesn't hold enough grain. If you don't go over 1.060 OG, you'll be fine.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I got the 10 gallon and if I was to do it all over again, I probably would have got the 7 gallon. I agree that 5 gallon is a bit small, but 10 gallon is pretty big if you are doing 5 gallon batches. I usually lose a bit of heat during my mash from the head space.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:59 PM   #10
Hoosier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well I think that about settles it. I am going to go with a rectangular cooler to save on funds. I also want to be able to do bigger beers so the 5 gallon wont work for my needs. Thanks to all for the input.
-Chris

Proud supporter of Brett, Lacto, Pedio and all the other critters your brewing friends warn you about.
www.thebrewingnetwork.com

Quick Reply