Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5G IIPA Recipe Critique

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

In my experience, FWH does impart the IBUs of a 60 minute boil, but in a "smoother" bittering, so I always count them as 60 minute hops.

What I was saying (badly, I guess!) is that you don't need 102 IBUs (or whatever). Sure, you want firm bitterness, but the 60 minute hops and the FWH should be sufficient, and you want MORE hops flavor and aroma, so moving the hops to later in the boil (and bulking them up) will give you all of the above.

If the grains are already milled, not much you can do now. You can try mashing at 149 for 75 minutes, and make sure to really aerate the wort before pitching the yeast to make sure it fully attenuates.

I don't like very many sweet IIPAs/IPAs, but you need some malt backbone. Instead of overloading the crystal and honey malts, I'd rather see a couple of pounds of Munich malt in the grainbill. That gives a nice deep malt backbone, but not cloying sweetness. Of course, there are many people who like sweet/caramelly IIPAs so it's a matter of taste.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
br1dge
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper
In my experience, FWH does impart the IBUs of a 60 minute boil, but in a "smoother" bittering, so I always count them as 60 minute hops.

What I was saying (badly, I guess!) is that you don't need 102 IBUs (or whatever). Sure, you want firm bitterness, but the 60 minute hops and the FWH should be sufficient, and you want MORE hops flavor and aroma, so moving the hops to later in the boil (and bulking them up) will give you all of the above.

If the grains are already milled, not much you can do now. You can try mashing at 149 for 75 minutes, and make sure to really aerate the wort before pitching the yeast to make sure it fully attenuates.

I don't like very many sweet IIPAs/IPAs, but you need some malt backbone. Instead of overloading the crystal and honey malts, I'd rather see a couple of pounds of Munich malt in the grainbill. That gives a nice deep malt backbone, but not cloying sweetness. Of course, there are many people who like sweet/caramelly IIPAs so it's a matter of taste.
I don't like sweet iipa a either. Meant for the Maris otter to add some malt, but guess I overdid it with the cara-malts. I am planning to just add 1/2 of them, so will repost the revised recipe..

Out of curiosity, what would you expect to gain from a longer mash 60 vs 75 minutes?

Old 12-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post

I missed the part in your first post where you mentioned the 60 min Magnum addition to 50 IBU's. I was going off of his grainbill that referenced only 21 IBU's from the Magnum addition and dropping the Warrior completely.

What you're saying makes sense.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #14
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

Quote:
Originally Posted by br1dge View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you expect to gain from a longer mash 60 vs 75 minutes?
Conversion! Mashing at a cooler temperature, say of 147-149, means it may take a wee bit longer for full conversion. Maybe not, but it can't hurt and can only help. If I mash at 150 or lower, or use adjuncts, I'll extend the mash time and then check for conversion.

Quick Reply