Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5 stars iodophor

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2010, 03:41 PM   #1
dooksh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 5 stars iodophor

i am using 5 stars IO star (iodophore) - https://secure.midwestsupplies.com/i...itfile_id/500/

it calls for 1 oz per 5 gallons to achieve the required concentration of 25ppm.
do you think i can make a smaller size solution and put it in a spray bottle?
dont want to waste so much sanitizer each time i brew or bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
suprchunk
I'm in OT now!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It won't last long that way, but you can. If you are implying using that for sanitizing the bucket you need to maintain the minimum contact time. I don't find it that wasteful to add a couple caps to five gallons and use that once for everything on brew day. I had a large bottle that lasted quite awhile.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

If you want a sanitizer you can decant into a spray bottle and store for a while, I'd recommend switching to StarSan by Five Star.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
nebben
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I make small doses whenever I'm doing hydrometer tests, or racking into an already sanitized container. I got a medicine dropper (a syringe without the needle) with graduated marks. 1.5ml will do 2Q IIRC.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 AM   #5
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

You can use half the listed amount to get to 12.5 ppm, which is the no rinse amount. Contact time at 15 minutes as per George Fix in An Analysis of Brewing Techniques.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
dooksh
Recipes 

thanks for the reply's.
MattHollingsworth, unlike the BTF brand , the five star IO requires 25ppm for no rinse. but do you think i can make a smaller solution and spray my fermenting vessel instead of making a 5 gallon one and soaking it ?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I've used iodophors dilluted in spray bottles with RO water quite a lot, it stays longer than in the open air, when it's in a sealed bottle. You can get maybe a month's efficacy our of it, before it turns clear and becomes useless.

You can also mix small batches of it, like a gallon or so, just like with starsan, and swirl it around. You just have to figure out how much for you need to measure out/volume of water.

Just like with Starsan I find that translating it to ML makes it easier to measure. I use a medicine style eyedropper from the drugstore, the kind used to give liquid medicine to children.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-01-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
dooksh
Recipes 

thanks revvy. i will try that

Old 06-01-2010, 11:08 AM   #9
MattHollingsworth
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dooksh View Post
thanks for the reply's.
MattHollingsworth, unlike the BTF brand , the five star IO requires 25ppm for no rinse. but do you think i can make a smaller solution and spray my fermenting vessel instead of making a 5 gallon one and soaking it ?
I don't know this brand, but it sounds like they're just trying to get you to use it twice as fast. That "25 ppm" or "12.5 ppm" number quoted is for how many parts per million of iodine in the solution. This is how iodophor works, that iodine is what's killing the germs. And, 12.5 ppm of iodine is sufficient to kill germs in a 15 minute period and is a no rinse concentration. The iodine in your solution should be no different from any other iodine and 12.5 ppm, for 15 minutes will be enough.

I don't use mine in a sprayer, but looks like you already have others answering that for you. If I were spraying, I would likely use the 25 ppm number anyway though, but can't say from direct experience.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
dooksh
Recipes 

thanks MattHollingsworth. i think maybe its a less concentrated iodophore, thats why it requires twice as much . i tryed to look look it up on HBT but i dont think many people use it. they probably prefer star san from the same company (cant get it over here)

Quick Reply