Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5 Gallon Igloo Mash Tun

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
CemeteryCellarsBC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Default 5 Gallon Igloo Mash Tun

I'm sure everyone here has seen this thread a million times but as much as I search I'm still not confident.
I just converted a 5 gallon Igloo cooler over and I'd love to use it for my all grain batches. I'm not one who requires a lot of end product and I'm not kegging at this point but I would like to brew some higher abv beers. Is it possible to do that with a five gallon mash tun? Is it feasible for me to brew all grain beers and come out with a good product with a 5 gallon mash tun? I'd really prefer to stay with smaller batches.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 1163

Just for referrence; my Igloo cooler mash tun is 13 gallons and the biggest 10 gal AG batch I can brew is about 1.070 OG with a standard 60-75min boil down. So that means I would need a 6.5 gallon mash tun to brew a 5 gallon batch at 1.070.

If you are making 5 gallon batches you really need a larger mash tun than 5 gal. 7 gallon would be minimal but why go so small? I got my Igloo 13 gal (52qt) rectangular cooler for $25 on sale...has worked flawlessly for 15 batches. I can easily mash for 5 gal batches or 10-11 gallon batches of session ale.

Next up: American Pale Ale
Primary 1&2: American Brown Ale
Primary 3&4: Hopped up Belgian Tripel
Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Yeah a 5 gallon MLT is fine for lower-normal gravity 5 gallon batches or smaller batches of higher gravity beers.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
CemeteryCellarsBC
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

I'm really looking to brew an occasional 6-8% ABV IPA...can I make that happen?

Old 12-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Jayhem
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CemeteryCellarsBC View Post
I'm really looking to brew an occasional 6-8% ABV IPA...can I make that happen?
Are you making 5 gal batches or smaller? You could always sub some light DME or LME for your base malt to boost the gravity if you can't mash enough base grain to hit your target OG. 20-25% extract won't really effect the flavor much at all, especially in a hop-dominant IPA style.

Bottle Conditioning/drinking: Summer Kolsch, White Zombie (Amarillo IPA), English Pale Ale (ESB)

Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This comes up every now and then....Best answer I've ever heard,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
No rule that says you have to do a 5-gallon batch. You can always run it through Beersmith and reduce the batch size to something that will fit in your 5-Fallon cooler. Green Bay Rackers says you can get 15-ish pounds in there at 1 qt/lb, so maybe do a 3.5 gal batch?

I do A TON of high gravity batches with my 5 gallon cooler. I just do them as a 2.5 gallon batch.

If I'm making a bigger beer I'm often doing a 2.5 gallon batch instead of a 5 gallon one the 14 pounds of grain that can be held in a 5 gallon makes a beer with an og of 1.151. That's a pretty big beer if you ask me.

I find that one case of big beers is often more than enough.

In fact my first partigyle pumpkin ale was 2 2.5 gallon beers from the same grainbed. A strong ale and a regular amber ale. They were 2 stove top beers from my lowly 5 gallon mash tun.

Here.

I've been using my 5 gallon cooler for years, and I've rarely needed larger for most of my beers. If I'm doing something special or really big and want 5 gallons, I have plenty of brew buddies that have larger coolers I can borrow.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

CemeteryCellarsBC Likes This 
Old 12-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

You can always add a second, larger cooler mash tun to your equipment at a later date if you wish to go bigger on your batch size. For me I am married, have a house and a full time job that takes a lot of my time. I only have the opportunity to brew about once a month....so I always make 10-11 gallon batches. If you can brew weekly and really enjoy the process, then smaller batches would be a lot easier, especially since you can brew in your kitchen which is nice in the winter months.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #8
kifkroker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I mashed 13 lbs. in my 5 gallon Igloo MaxCold without a problem at 1.25 quarts per pound. It was pretty full but held the temperature great. The recipe was EdWorts Bee Cave Brewery IPA with an OG of 1.065 and came out great!

On a side note, I also just bought a Igloo 10 gallon commercial grade beverage cooler since I'd like to be able to brew bigger beers without capacity issues.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #9
jeepinjeepin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 1022 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kifkroker
I mashed 13 lbs. in my 5 gallon Igloo MaxCold without a problem at 1.25 quarts per pound. It was pretty full but held the temperature great. The recipe was EdWorts Bee Cave Brewery IPA with an OG of 1.065 and came out great!

On a side note, I also just bought a Igloo 10 gallon commercial grade beverage cooler since I'd like to be able to brew bigger beers without capacity issues.
I too have pushed my 5 gallon to the max with 12+ pounds of grain and as much water as would fit. I now have a Gatorade 10 gallon water cooler waiting on conversion.

Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

Old 12-06-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
kifkroker
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin View Post
I too have pushed my 5 gallon to the max with 12+ pounds of grain and as much water as would fit. I now have a Gatorade 10 gallon water cooler waiting on conversion.
I haven't used my 10 gallon Igloo yet... Debating on whether or not to go with one of those awesome NorCal Jaybird False Bottoms or just do a SS water heater hose that my 5 gallon has in it (which has performed flawlessly so far).

If anyone has used both, please comment on which you prefer for batch sparging.

Thanks!

Quick Reply