Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5 gallon All Grain boil volume

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2011, 12:10 AM   #1
hough77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 5 gallon All Grain boil volume

Is there a way to brew a 5 gallon All G batch without doing a full boil? I have a 5g kettle, and a keggle but no way to chill the wort in a keggle yet. Still adding cold water jugs from the store or ice bath with the kettle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 AM   #2
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Go no chill untill you have a better chiller.

Old 11-21-2011, 04:56 AM   #3
caspider
Recipes 

i would follow these instuctions and make yourself a wort chiller... once you have one you'll wonder why you ever did ice baths.

http://www.olderascal.com/brewing/wo...ler/index.html

Old 11-21-2011, 05:17 AM   #4
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As mentioned before, make a chiller of your own! Bobby has some nice guides:

Counterflow chiller:
How to make a Counter Flow Chiller - Home Brewing Wiki

Or if you prefer an immersion chiller:

Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 11-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #5
dankev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

These days, it's pretty difficult to buy the parts for an immersion chiller for much less than they cost pre-built. I was going to build one, but after I realized I was just going to break even (at best), I bought one pre-built. Copper is just too expensive.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:32 AM   #6
DanaDana
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree withe cost issue. I finally broke down and bought one. Almost the same cost as buying the parts; but you don't have to form it. I used to do a lot of chilling half batches and mixing with other pre boiled water that had cooled previously. I also have done the "over it for the night" method annd have yielded good results.

Old 11-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #7
Cacaman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankev View Post
These days, it's pretty difficult to buy the parts for an immersion chiller for much less than they cost pre-built. I was going to build one, but after I realized I was just going to break even (at best), I bought one pre-built. Copper is just too expensive.
Not really. I found 50 feet of copper at my local plumbing dedicated shop for $50. I used 25 feet for a counterflow, and the leftover 25 feet for a prechiller. The other supplies costed me no more than $20. A counterflow and a prechiller for $70 is much less than paying $80 for just a counterflow from the LHBS.

You gotta shop around town for the cheapest prices, and if you really can't find any, just try ebay!

Soft Copper Tubing 3/8" x 25' Tube de cobre ouen cuivre | eBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

“Get your beer off the yeast cake on day 7 or your beer will crawl out of the fermenter and eat your youngest child”

“Your beer will be the equivalent of rhinoceros urine unless it sits on the primary yeast cake for at least 4 weeks.”

Old 11-21-2011, 06:03 AM   #8
dankev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacaman View Post
Not really. I found 50 feet of copper at my local plumbing dedicated shop for $50. I used 25 feet for a counterflow, and the leftover 25 feet for a prechiller. The other supplies costed me no more than $20. A counterflow and a prechiller for $70 is much less than paying $80 for just a counterflow from the LHBS.

You gotta shop around town for the cheapest prices, and if you really can't find any, just try ebay!

Soft Copper Tubing 3/8" x 25' Tube de cobre ouen cuivre | eBay
There's $31 for the copper alone. Throw in a few bucks for a brass fitting or two, some clamps, and a little bit of tubing, and it's right in the neighborhood of what I paid for mine from my LHBS.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
hough77
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies! I'm going to ask for the chiller for Christmas so it will be free. I dropped $70 on a 10g mash tun that I just built (cooler and parts) so I'm wanting to brew my first All Grain this week if possible, just seeing of I would have to go with a full boil or not. If it would not turn out right I can do a partial mash for now. Gotta keep the pipeline goin!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #10
xiejol
Recipes 

Just a quick update. I just added a few pictures of the prechiller in action. Using the ice bath to cool the incoming water makes a huge difference in cooldown times. Just make sure to start running water through the prechiller BEFORE putting it in the ice bath. The first run wasn't that great because the prechiller froze the water in the coil before it could exit. It took a long time to get the whole thing thawed out so I could start the cooldown.

http://www.olderascal.com/wortchiller

Quick Reply