Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > "5.2" in the sparge water

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 06:32 AM   #1
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 6331 Times on 5487 Posts
Likes Given: 851

Default "5.2" in the sparge water

So I usually always put 1 tbsp of "5.2" in my mash water. But I got to thinking, should I be putting it in the sparge water as well?

pH is just as important during the sparge as the mash, right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #2
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

From what I have read it is not really as important as the mash. The mash needs a good pH so that the full conversion can happen. The sparge does continue conversion (unless you do a mash out) but not at the same level.

I always adjust my mash water, but never my sparge water. I am no expert though and would be interested to hear what the more seasoned guys have to say.

Tap 2:. Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA
Primary:. Sycamore Porter, Scottish Ale

Old 09-15-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i use it in both mash and sparge. i don't remember why right now but thats what i do lol

i think i might have read some where that you should use it for both but i'm not sure

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Old 09-15-2009, 07:36 AM   #4
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

I only add it to the mash. However, I treat my water (both sparge and mash) for the style I'm brewing and for the taste I'm trying to get. In other words the water I'm using is rather specific for the color of beer I'm brewing. If my brewing waters residual alkalinity was way off from the color of beer I was brewing I would most likely add 5.2 to the sparge water as well.

I'm simply using the 5.2 as insurance if my calculations for correcting residual alkalinity are off.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
SamuraiSquirrel
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I add it to both. But i heat all my water (strike and sparge) together since I like to boil it first to sanitize it. Then I let it drop to my strike temp. Then i put the lid on and wait about 40 minutes. The left over water i use for sparging drops to about 120-140 in that time. About 15 to 20 minutes prior to sparge time i turn the heat back on and get my sparge water up to temp.

Old 09-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

If your sparge water has high residual alkalinity, particularly if you fly sparge, you want to treat your sparge water (with something) so that you don't extract a lot of tannins when you sparge. The problem probably isn't as bad if you batch sparge, depending on how alkaline your water is.

Old 09-15-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

+1

Lil Sparky is correct. I have hard water and always treat my sparge water, and depending on style, sometimes the mash too.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Old 09-15-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4947 Times on 4516 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Yes and no. As I understand it, it is best to not have your sparge water pH below 6 (7 preffered) as, depending on your grist, the grain you are sparging may not have the buffering capacity to counter a low, or high, pH.

I used to treat my HLT with 5.2 and, via pH papers, could see it work. However, I stopped becuse I was also seeing a higher rate of sedimentation in my HLT thus requiring more rigourous cleaning.

Now, I use Lactic Acid as a amendment to pH and find that a mere 4 mL/14gal can bring my avg pH 9.3 water to pH 7 with no alteration in taste. Now, I just use the 5.2 in the mash and my HLT is happier (cleaner) for it.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #9
JKoravos
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilaMinumBeer View Post
Yes and no. As I understand it, it is best to not have your sparge water pH below 6 (7 preffered) as, depending on your grist, the grain you are sparging may not have the buffering capacity to counter a low, or high, pH.

I used to treat my HLT with 5.2 and, via pH papers, could see it work. However, I stopped becuse I was also seeing a higher rate of sedimentation in my HLT thus requiring more rigourous cleaning.

Now, I use Lactic Acid as a amendment to pH and find that a mere 4 mL/14gal can bring my avg pH 9.3 water to pH 7 with no alteration in taste. Now, I just use the 5.2 in the mash and my HLT is happier (cleaner) for it.

Jeepers, your water pH is 9.3?

I'd say that if you have high pH water (maybe 7.5-8.0 or higher) and you're fly sparging, it's probably a good idea to treat your water with some acid to get the pH down in the 6-7 range.

Old 09-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #10
ThatGuyRyan
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just recently listened to a podcast from The brewing network where J. Palmer and crew talked about 5.2 and they only talked about using it in the mash if I remember correctly. They also said they only use 3/4 the amount suggested to protect against possible off flavors from the 5.2.

They said they had the same results by using 3/4 when they tested it. So I really don’t have an answer but it sounds like a good idea to possibly use 1/2 and 1/2 for mash and sparging. My only concern is that with the mash maybe most of the product is absorbed by the gains and adding it to the sparge will pass more into your wort possibly causing a slight off flavor from the 5.2 itself?

shat happens

Quick Reply