Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 5.2 addition time?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
elleric
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default 5.2 addition time?

So im using 5.2 for the first time this weekend... I was wondering about the addition time. I wanted to make sure I understand correctly.

I add 1 tablespoon to my strike water and then make no further additions regardless of the amount of strike or sparge water. This is for 5 gallons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

IMO, don't waste your time. 5.2 is a PH buffer and will not necessarily reduce your PH. In most cases the grain bill alone will reduce your PH by itself.

There are a lot of threads on this site regarding the use of 5.2 and its lack of ability in doing what people believe it to be designed to do.

There are better means of reducing ridiculously high PH's that you can read about in the brewing science section.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010
Denny Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
IMO, don't waste your time. 5.2 is a PH buffer and will not necessarily reduce your PH. In most cases the grain bill alone will reduce your PH by itself.

There are a lot of threads on this site regarding the use of 5.2 and its lack of ability in doing what people believe it to be designed to do.

There are better means of reducing ridiculously high PH's that you can read about in the brewing science section.
Agreed. There's little assurance it will work and it adds a lot of sodium which gives your beer a weird flavor.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
elleric
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Ok so I started up my mash this morning for a janet's brown and did not add any 5.2 stabalizer. See how it goes

Old 02-16-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 214

Quote:
Originally Posted by elleric View Post
Ok so I started up my mash this morning for a janet's brown and did not add any 5.2 stabalizer. See how it goes
If you have PH strips you can take a reading after 5-10 minutes of the mash setting up and see where it is. You can also test your tap or whatever water you use to see where it is without the mash and see how the grain bill effects and drops the PH.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Quick Reply