The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 45 Min AG Boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #11
Sean
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
A HUGE reason for the boil is to denature and coagulate grain proteins for final beer clarification, shelf life, and stability along with other reasons mentioned. A sufficient boil is very important. I highly recommend boiling for AT LEAST 60 minutes but you do what you want.
I will look into that, thank you for the reply. I understand how protiens need to be precipitated out for clarification, but how does it affect stability and shelf life.

And yes sir, I will certainly do what I want, after all it is only beer..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #12
Barc
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've talked with PRO brewers who do 45 min mashes / boils without problems. I've done 45 min boils without problems but not mashes since I typically mash a little lower in temp. Using Pilsner, as well... No chill haze, no clarity or shelf life issues, etc. Flavor was fine, as was the bitterness, no DMS, no popcorn, butter, corn or anything else. IDK, maybe I'm lucky. But I have a feeling a lot of folks are spouting things they've read and heard but never experimented with themselves. Kinda like I read on here someone said wine yeast wouldn't ferment maltose... Yea, that's bogus, too.

I think it has a lot more to do with surface area to volume ratio than anything else when it comes to DMS. If you've got 6.5 gallons in a 10 gallon pot with a wide opening vs. 6.5 gallons in a 10 gallon pot with a narrow opening, there is more chance for DMS to boil off in the wider mouthed pot than the narrower one, imo. And if you bump that up to a multi-barrel system, the opening of the kettle will only allow so much DMS out the top which is why some brewers may go with longer boils, not to mention the fact that it also helps increase bitterness thereby decreasing the amount of hops required...

Proteins are precipitated out by hot and cold break amongst other things. The longer you boil, the more will be precipitated out BUT only to a certain point / degree, i.e. it is a diminishing return over the length of the boil. The majority of it, from my understanding, comes at hot break which is well before 45 mins is up in the boil.

As some have said, it is your beer, do what you want. I have experimented with mine and found that conventional wisdom and what's told as gospel truth on here is not necessarily true or wise. And those that would tell you that something MUST be a certain way need only look back 10 or so years when no one would think of leaving a beer in primary (you HAVE to do secondaries), leaving a beer longer that 4 weeks before it is bottled was a must (now we leave them for months), and hot side aeration was gonna kill us all...

Sorry for the rambling post but that's what I got. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #13
Sean

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

OK Dudes, I'll let you all know in about 6 weeks, It's bubblin' away!

Old 04-17-2012, 09:22 PM   #14
KeyWestBrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 431 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 525

did this not work out?

EAC - 5/2/14

Growing Hops in Key West, FL....

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/casc...y-west-333466/

Primary : Red, Wheat, and Blue
Primary : Mango Cream Ale
Primary : Soon To Be Filled
On Tap : Atocha Amber, Muddy Waters Bourbon Chocolate Stout 2.0

*Member: The HBT Sweaty Fat Guys Cigar club

Old 04-17-2012, 09:53 PM   #15
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

90 minutes will get u full hop isomerization. 60 minutes will get you very close though.

It's all about hop Isomerization!!

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
thetragichero
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 15

45 minute boil and hop burst it?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #17
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

I understand longer boil = more utilization, I personally prefer 90 min boils. But after reading this and playing with beersmith you can get the ibu's by making the flavoring/aroma hop additions earlier in the boil. Theres obviously less caramelization but im still curious how this turned out.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
edroberts
WxBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyWestBrewing
I understand longer boil = more utilization, I personally prefer 90 min boils. But after reading this and playing with beersmith you can get the ibu's by making the flavoring/aroma hop additions earlier in the boil. Theres obviously less caramelization but im still curious how this turned out.
You DEFINITELY do not want to move flavor and aroma editions earlier. You will boil off those properties. 5-10 min aroma. Flavor dies around 20 minutes in the boil.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:39 AM   #19
KeyWestBrewing
Recipes 

That makes sense. I guess someone could leave those alone and just make a higher bittering addition to get the IBUs up.

EAC - 5/2/14

Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #20
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 4

According to the famous hop utilization chart, you should boil for 50 minutes, because that's when the curve essentially flattens out. I usually bitter for 45 minutes after the threat of foamovers has subsided, because I would rather save 15 minutes of propane than save 1-2 grams of hops.

Quick Reply