Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 4 step batch sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #11
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

It's my first time using it and I'm still in the trial phase but it didn't seem like there was many options for adding your equipment. I'll look again but I think I saw a drop down that only had like 8 options. I selected what best closely matched my setup which was pretty close. Overall I was pretty impressed with BS and will probably end up purchasing it.

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 03:56 AM   #12
kylevester
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzno View Post
It's my first time using it and I'm still in the trial phase but it didn't seem like there was many options for adding your equipment. I'll look again but I think I saw a drop down that only had like 8 options. I selected what best closely matched my setup which was pretty close. Overall I was pretty impressed with BS and will probably end up purchasing it.
Not sure which version you downloaded, but generally the commands I'm about to give should work...

To change your equipment, you go to profiles and then click on equipment. From there, there are various built-in standardish HB equipment profiles that you can choose from.

Select one that's close to your equipment. Doesn't need to be exact, just double click one that has roughly the same sizing. You can edit it all in there. Just take your time and look at the options, it makes sense overall.

Unless you know how much you boil off, leave it as is for now and it'll be pretty close. For your mash tun, just change the size and look at the coefficients for the material that are listed (.4 for plastic, for example). Adjust your boil time if needed, default is 60 minutes.

Then save it as "My Equipment" and go from there. As you learn your equipment, you can make adjustments to dial in your volumes, temps, and efficiency.

Good luck. Also, use the BeerSmith site for tons of info and FAQs.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #13
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2017 Times on 1449 Posts
Likes Given: 1100

+1 on going to Beersmith site for tutorials and whatnot. I'm sure the software makes sense to the programmer, but IMO it's not always intuitive when starting out. But since there are several ways to make beer, there are many ways to think about making beer.

There is a lot of good advice on the website. After the equipment is set up and you get a feel for the interface it's not hard to use.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:24 PM   #14
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 459 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzno
So it went pretty good yesterday. With 13lbs of grain my 5 gallon mash ton was maxed out! I only got just over 2 gallons on my first runnings. I had to do 2 sparges to get my full pre-boil volume of 6.8 gallons. Ended up hitting my pre-boil gravity of 1.062. Post boil volume was lower then anticipated at 5.2 gallons after 90 minutes (was supposed to 5.98). Gravity hit though at 1.073. Overall the whole session turned out going much longer then I thought it was going to but I'm pretty happy with the result so far. I'll know for sure in 8 weeks!
Beersmith instructed you to sparge 4 times because it read your recipe and equipment and saw that you had maxed out capacity in your 5 gallon tun and could not fit the full sparge volume if you want to keep brewing bigger beers and reduce the number of sparges then get a 10g collet or bigger.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

never mind

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 10-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #16
buzzno
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I have some Beer Smith studying to do. I thought it was mostly pretty intuitive and it was very helpful to follow it while brewing. I think I'll stick with the equipment I have for now and just get used to multiple sparges. No big deal.

Primary1: Sadly nothing right now :-(
Secondary: Cider w/Saison Yeast
Bottled: Wanona's Big Brown Beaver Nutz Ale
Bottled: Founder's Breakfast Stout
Bottled: Cinnamon Clove Cider w/Nottingham
Keg1: 2 Gold IPA
Keg2: Partigyle from the Founders Breakfast Stout

Old 10-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #17
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 420 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 503

Keep in mind that Beersmith is a tool to help you brew. It's not instructions on how to brew.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply