Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 4 Months in primary = success

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
silvervan83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 4 Months in primary = success

I got EXTRA LAZY. (and have been broke for some time... any contractors out there know exactly what I'm talking about). So I left 5 gallons of wheat beer in the primary for a little over 4 months. I recently aquired a couple of cornie kegs and finally got the stuff racked to one of them. ............ Wow. The ABSOLUTE BEST BEER i have ever brewed. OG 1.052 - FG 1.004!!!

I'm not gonna be posting anything else tonight cause I'm getting schnockered on this stuff. Wish you could be here.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

WOW, 4 months?!?!?!

Well that puts the ole autolysis bogeyman even further away!

I do a month in primary normally, and my beers have definitely improved.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

That's quite a surprise for a wheat. Good to know.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2009, 12:01 PM   #4
yorkbrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 8

What was the flavor like? I would expect a lot less of the interesting wheat yeast characteristics, clove/banana.

I'm drinking a wheat right now where I purposefully enhanced the banana aspect and I found that with aging the flavor dropped off a lot. That aging occurred in a keg though.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Another nail in the coffin of the unnecessary Secondary.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM   #6
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did it end up being EXTRA clear? (for a wheat)

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 PM   #7
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
Another nail in the coffin of the unnecessary Secondary.
+1. My 5 gallon carboys only get used for beers that need to be dry hopped/fruit or mead. Otherwise it's primary fermentation then conditioning in the keg.

I've left beer on yeast for 2 months before with no off-flavors (verified by an objective BJCP judge, not just my own subjective analysis). It still good practice to get beer off yeast when it's done fermenting, but this example illustrates that some of these rules are subject to interpretation.

Cheers!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I'd recommend new brewers use secondary until they have the experience to decide for themselves. If it is needed or not.

In my opinion and experience it's pretty pointless doing it unless there is a specific reason.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
FireBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orfy View Post
I'd recommend new brewers use secondary until they have the experience to decide for themselves. If it is needed or not.

In my opinion and experience it's pretty pointless doing it unless there is a specific reason.
+1. Wise recommendation, Orfy.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2726 Times on 1634 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBrewer View Post
I've left beer on yeast for 2 months before with no off-flavors (verified by an objective BJCP judge, not just my own subjective analysis). It still good practice to get beer off yeast when it's done fermenting, but this example illustrates that some of these rules are subject to interpretation.

Cheers!
+1 my bjcp feedbacks on the beers last year that were left for a month were what convinced me that this long primary had merit. I thought my beers tasted and looked better than the batches that I secondaried (some of my house beers overlap so I can often do a side by side comparison of batches.)

But the comments about clarity, and crispness of those primary only beers that I entered, as opposed to the secondaried ones, stood out on comments for two separate contests last summer.

Then I started seeing the stuff in Palmer, and what some of you guys were saying that backed up the idea that a secondary is really an option AND there is a great deal of merit to letting beers sit on the yeast for a few extra weeks, to allow the yeast to clean their messes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply