Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 4.75 gallons of wort after boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
blackwaterbrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default 4.75 gallons of wort after boil

i made my first all grain today (edwort's haus pale at your reccomendations!)
i finished with 4.75 gallons of wort at 1.054 s.g. I added 3 quarts of warm water at the end. the carboy has 5.5 gallons of wort at 1.042. is it o.k. that i added water at the end? i guess my boil was too vigorous or my measurements were off ( though i doubt the latter ). thanks for all your help and encouragement, I HAVE EVOLVED !

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- lemongrass kolsch
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
BeerPressure
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I had the same problem, you have to figure out your boil off rate.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Always, ALWAYS measure your pre-boil volume. You have to take into account the dead space in your MLT and BK of there is any. Do you know what your pre-boil volume was? Generally you can count on boiling off about 1.5 gallons per hour. If you dont measure your pre-boil volume when you brew, you are always going to be shooting in the dark.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 19 Posts

As stated above, start measuring your pre-boil volumes (with a ruler or marked stick is usually easiest), and try to get a handle on your boil-off rate so that you can hit your target next time. But, adding water at the end is ok if it's sanitized. This usually means boiling it for a 10-20 min and letting it cool.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #5
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

i measured the pre boil volume according to the recipe. i think my burner was going too high or i measured wrong. i did boil the additional water first , then cool. i started with 29 quarts of water and boiled for 90 minutes. Edwort's recipe didn't say how long to boil for, maybe it was only supposed to be 60?

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #6
The Pol
Recipes 

Yah, the standard boil is 60 minutes, that is more than likely where your problem lies.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

If you haven't, just take a grav reading, topp off to 5 gallons, then use beersimth, or whatever software you have to use the dillution tool to calculate the new OG based on the amount og top off water.... .25 gallons won't really be that much.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-17-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

based on my hydrometer readings, i ended up with 1.051 at 60 F. that is after adding the addtional water to bring the finished volume to 5.5 gallons. do you guys think this will affect the end product? or should i just relax, not worry, and have a homebrew?

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Old 01-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Relax......................

Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 PM   #10
blackwaterbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

yes sir, relaxing by the fire now. very happy to be brewing without syrup and powder, by the way, what the hell is that barnyard smell in the mash tun? it smells great in the kettle, but like a stable in the mash tun!

Primary-
Lagering-
Primary-
secondary-
secondary-
on tap- stout
on tap- small mead
bottle-sweet mead
bottle-

Quick Reply