New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 30 min mash conversion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #11
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Enymatic breakdown continues well past 30 min.
Indeed. Which is why I'm guessing (not an expert) that the only result of a long mash is a more fermentable wort. There's no enzyme in wort that's chaining small sugars back together. If you're going for a more full bodied dixtrinous wort, a short mash could be desireable.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #12
somedudefromguam
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I don't think a longer mash= a more fermentable wort, isn't it the mash temp? I mean if you mash at 158 for an hour versus 30 minutes won't you get the same body(FG) in the end product. And (I too am no expert) if you mash at 158 until a negative starch test, you pretty much have your fermentability and final gravity set in place, you can't then mash for longer while the temperature in the mash drops and expect to get a lower final gravity. True?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 267 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I don't think a longer mash= a more fermentable wort, isn't it the mash temp? I mean if you mash at 158 for an hour versus 30 minutes won't you get the same body(FG) in the end product. And (I too am no expert) if you mash at 158 until a negative starch test, you pretty much have your fermentability and final gravity set in place, you can't then mash for longer while the temperature in the mash drops and expect to get a lower final gravity. True?
Not necessarily. It's important to have an idea of how the two saccharification enzymes work together to make wort sugars out of starch in the grain.

Some beta amylase will still be active at higher temperatures, and add to that the fact that alpha amylase is still working and you'll get more and more fermentable wort.

Let's say you have complete conversion of the starch to sugar in 30 minutes. That means you probably have a lot of long chain sugars, some of which are shorter (more fermentable than others). Neither enzyme can make a sugar longer, but both can cut up the existing long chain sugars FURTHER into smaller and smaller sugars. Therefore, longer mash= more fermentable wort.

Temperature definitely is a major factor, as it tips the balance between one enzyme and the other, but time is another important factor.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I'm opening up!

twitter.com/twokidsbrewing .. facebook.com/twokidsbrewing .. twokidsbrewing.com

Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I know this beer was chugging away about two hours after I pitched the yeast.

Quick Reply