The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 3 Months on primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
LS_Grimmy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3 Months on primary?

Beer 3 months on primary with no secondary. About to bottle what do you think? Make a difference with leaving it in the primary that long?

My Web Site:
www.grimmysbeer.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
eschatz

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 16 Posts

I might make a little difference but I wouldnt worry about it. Search Autolysis

What's tappening? :D

Old 07-01-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschatz View Post
I might make a little difference but I wouldnt worry about it. Search Autolysis
I'll save you having to look...

Quote:
Originally Posted by How to Brew
As a final note on this subject, I should mention that by brewing with healthy yeast in a well-prepared wort, many experienced brewers, myself included, have been able to leave a beer in the primary fermenter for several months without any evidence of autolysis.
It really depends, what kind of beer is it?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM   #4
LS_Grimmy

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

It's an ESB and I just finished bottling it. It tried a glass (you know for quality control ) and it tasted great. I am super anal about sanitation and have never had a problem. I've made this batch the last 3 times so im looking forward to trying the end result to see any differnces forsure but for now it tastes great

Thanks for the info on Autolysis

CHeers,
Grimmy

My Web Site:
www.grimmysbeer.com

Old 07-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Tankard
Recipes 

If it tastes great, and you don't notice anything "off" then you're fine. Autolysis is supposed to taste absolutely terrible, and there's no way it would be able to hide behind the flavor of your beer. It would be purely putrid. If you don't have this, then you don't have autolysis.

That being said, 3 months in the primary is a little too long for me. I'd keep it a month, maybe a month and a half tops in the primary before I would switch over to secondary. Of course, I've never aged a beer that long, so I just keep everything in the primary and then bottle after 3 weeks or so.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

From what I've heard of autolysis, you'll know it when it happens because of the god awful smell coming from the primary.

I don't thinks it's all that common. At least I hope not since I have some brew that's been sitting on yeast for a while now and won't get to it until the long weekend.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:27 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2708 Times on 1627 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

Then bottle away!!!!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply