Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > a 3 gallon batch mashed in a 10 gallon cooler

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default a 3 gallon batch mashed in a 10 gallon cooler

So I have been working on a plan to brew 3 gallon no sparge batches on my stove. I'm thinking about using my 10 gallon cooler to mash in. I'm sure there will probably be a lot of heat loss due to the empty space and there will be a lot of loss from the dead space under the false bottom. Are there any other issues that I'm not thinking of?

I have a sixtel mash tun that I was using but I removed the bulk head for use with my 15.5 gallon sanke mash tun, I will need to build another.

damn I gotta brew something

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #2
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was thinking about trying a 2.5-3gal batch inside since it's so cold outside. I also have a 10g MLT, so I was thinking about trying the BIAB (brew in a bag) method since you'll probably only be mashing 5-8lbs of grain (unless you're making a barleywine).

Secondary:
On Deck: Lake Walk Pale Ale, BCB IPA

Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I was thinking of going that route also but I dont want any excess trub. I plan on using these beers as starters.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You should have no problem mashing a no-sparge 3 gal batch in a 10 gal cooler. The biggest difficulty will be to collect all the wort (the bigger the cooler, the greater the loss of wort to the mash tun, generally, which can become significant on small batches).

A couple of suggestions to avoid heat loss:
- preheat the cooler REALLY well before mashing
- you can fabricate a circular piece of insulation from rigid foam that fits inside your cooler just above the mash to reduce the dead air space above (preheat that too!)
- mash pretty thin to maximize the volume in the tun

Old 01-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #5
mctc
Recipes 

I do 2gallon/5lb batches like this with no trouble in a large cooler. I don't have a false bottom though, more of a sketchy set up with a dryer screen. I tend to keep adding some hot water along the way to keep my temp up.

primary, and bottles: probably something with pale 2 row, cascade homegrown or otherwise +/- rye. but it is hard to keep up with this.

Growing my own beer

Reason: added stuff

Old 01-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #6
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thanks for the input,
I know that dead space will be a pain (I think I will get that sixtel up and running before to long)
I have been thinking about about the hot water additions also. I'm thinking I might do a couple of steps 148, 158

Quick Reply