New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 3 gallon all grain technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
rasherb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 3 gallon all grain technique?

I found this about doing small 3 gallon AG brews. Would this be a good way to start AG without much added expense?

http://www.classiccitybrew.com/homebrew.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Warped04
I am Wally
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My mash tun cost around $30 to make with an existing cooler I had lying around. I have a 30 quart brewpot that I've been brewing full boil extract kits for years, that I use as my kettle. Because of where I live, I bought my mill for ~$130 so I could stock up on my grain and not have to pay for shipping.

Kits used to cost me $30. My batches now cost me around $15. The quality in my beer has improved dramatically as I have learned so much. I've brewed 7 AG batches of beer. At batch #11, I will have "recooped" my new equipment purchases.

Depending on how big your current kettle is, I think you will be surprised at how quickly your investment will be rewarded.

Old 08-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #3
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like this 3 gal technique b/c I have a typical 5 gal brewpot, no place to brew outside (apt dweller), and a stove that struggles to keep 3 gallons boiling.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Im going to try a 3 gallon AG soon with the Brew In a Bag method. http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&star t=0/fa

I have a turkey fryer for the kettle and burner, I just don't feel like making/buying a MLT right now. I'm going to double up a couple of paint strainers for the filter bag at first and see how that goes. Also with the larger wort volume of a full (5+ gallons of wort)all grain batch you would need some type of a chilling device, but 3 gallons I can manage in the tub. Gonna try an american wheat beer my next weekend off.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:58 PM   #5
Warped04
I am Wally

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasherb View Post
I like this 3 gal technique b/c I have a typical 5 gal brewpot, no place to brew outside (apt dweller), and a stove that struggles to keep 3 gallons boiling.
Go for it! I noticed a huge improvement in quality in my beers when I went AG. There is always a method of brewing that is right for you!

Old 08-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #6
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I will try it. The only issue I have is hot-side aeration from scooping the wort from the mash tun into the kettle/strainer. Although, I've heard this really isn't much of a problem for homebrewers.

There's also no Vorlof in this process. Is that important?

All I need to buy is a cooler and I'm set for AG.

This also brings cost to brew under $20 for a 3 gallon batch without having to purchase bulk grain.

Old 08-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
I think I will try it. The only issue I have is hot-side aeration from scooping the wort from the mash tun into the kettle/strainer. Although, I've heard this really isn't much of a problem for homebrewers.

Then don't worry about it if you've heard it isn't a problem for HB
ers...

It isn't.

The easiest , yet still cost effective way to do small batch AG or Pm is with an unmodified cooler, folding steamer and grainbag. This is what I mean my a folding steamer, They can be found at any grocery store.

(You need to unscrew or break off the post in the center.)

Put the steamer in the bottom of the cooler, put in a grainbag and rubberband the bag to the top of the cooler.

That's how I showed how to do small batch ag brewing fro the mr beer thread, for the article I'm writing.

I prefer doing 2.5 AG batches rather than 3...you can easily scale them if you don't have access to brewing software, and you can ferment in 3 gallon better bottles, water bottles or the old brown jug.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Last edited by Revvy; 08-17-2008 at 09:09 PM.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Revvy,

I love it! And I have all that stuff, except the grain bag. What size do I need for a 5 gal bev cooler?

Old 08-18-2008, 01:44 AM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2661 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3452

Quote:
Revvy,

I love it! And I have all that stuff, except the grain bag. What size do I need for a 5 gal bev cooler?
For a 5 gallon get a Nylon Paint Strainer bag from your hardware store.

The kind with the elastic, that can fit in a bucket. (in fact a lot of LHBS's carry them as well, but they'll be cheeper at the hardware store.)

For a five gallon you wont be able to get a rubber that would hold the grain bag in the cooler, that effectively.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-18-2008, 01:45 AM   #10
justbrewit
Zythos Conisseur

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

your lhbs should have grain bags that will fit nicely. i just started using sparge bags and they flow a bit better than my old bag. the other one i had was just a plian mesh bag, very fine, the new one has a corser mesh on the bottom for better flow and fine mesh on the sides

2.5 gal cantalope mead
5.5 gal coconut milk mead

Quick Reply