Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2qt./LB Mash...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 AM   #31
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Thanks Kaiser... I am going to keep trying this, but this was a HUGE jump for me... 15%. And the system has been dialed in for 70% for a long while.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 AM   #32
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Pol, you may want to check the first wort gravity. Should come close to what is listed in this table:

It if is there is not much more to get in terms of efficiency unless you start lautering more efficiently. But that can have quality impacts.

Kai

Old 02-19-2009, 01:32 AM   #33
The Pol
Recipes 

Just an update... on my last brew I got 85% eff. up from 70%, the only thing I changed was my mash thickness. I wanted to report that I got 72% attenuation as well... so there was no apparent increase in attenuation with this batch at all.

Old 02-19-2009, 02:26 AM   #34
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Just an update... on my last brew I got 85% eff. up from 70%, the only thing I changed was my mash thickness. I wanted to report that I got 72% attenuation as well... so there was no apparent increase in attenuation with this batch at all.
Glad to hear that your experiences confirm my findings.

BTW, I have been searching on-line for other brewer's experiences with thin mashes and it is amazing how many brewers are simply afraid to deviate from the 1.25 qt/lb "standard". And many of them cite common home brewing books to say that thinner mashes won't work as well b/c the enzymes are more quickly denatured. This 1.25 qt/lb rule for mash thickness has very deep roots.

Kai

Old 02-19-2009, 03:08 AM   #35
mummasan
Recipes 

Default thin mash results

I usually have my grain milled at my LHBS - it is set at .40 and my typical efficiency into the kettle is in the 60s. My normal mash thickness is 1 or 1.25 qts per pound and I do a mash out plus sparge.

Kai suggested to me in another thread to try a thinner mash. I did just that for my last brew.

With a .40 crush and 2 qt/lb mash I got 74.5% efficiency into the kettle. Plus I skipped the mash out and just sparged once. Not only am I happy with my efficiency, I skipped the mash out (I saved time).

I appreciate the suggestion Kai! My brew day is quicker and easier plus my efficiency is finally good enough where I don't have to tinker with recipes to get the target gravity.

From now on, my standard brewing procedure will be to mash at 2 qt/lb.

Matt

Old 02-19-2009, 03:16 AM   #36
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I'm not going to throw this idea out for my own process just yet but I stepped from my typical 1.3qt/lb up to 1.75 and lost 5%. I'll try 2qt/lb next time. Granted, I do acknowledge that efficiency isn't what is important. 80% is a solid place to be.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Last edited by Bobby_M; 02-19-2009 at 03:18 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #37
Kaiser

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm not going to throw this idea out for my own process just yet but I stepped from my typical 1.3qt/lb up to 1.75 and lost 5%. I'll try 2qt/lb next time. Granted, I do acknowledge that efficiency isn't what is important. 80% is a solid place to be.
Bobby, interesting numbers to have in this case would be the first wort gravity of the 1.3 qt/lb and 1.75 qt/lb mashes. They can be used to calculate the conversion efficiency (efficiency before lauter losses). If these efficiencies are close then the thinner mash will cause you to loose efficiency into the kettle. In the cases where brewers report an increase in efficiency into the kettle when going to a thin mash the rise of the conversion efficiency (amount of starches converted) outweighed the increased loss of extract in the lauter.

As a result I'm not saying that a thinner mash will always increase efficiency. The better your efficiency already is, the less likely the chance that a thin mash is going to increase it.

Kai

Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #38
The Pol
Recipes 

I am going to continue to explore this with my future brews... I am recording my findings and I will be creating an article for BrewersFriend.com regarding this experiment.

Thanks Kaiser for the input, I will be using your chart there for my future brews as well.

85% eff. is pretty darn good for me, it will be sad when I run the control brews and go back to a seemingly lower eff.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #39
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 980 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser View Post
Bobby, interesting numbers to have in this case would be the first wort gravity of the 1.3 qt/lb and 1.75 qt/lb mashes. They can be used to calculate the conversion efficiency (efficiency before lauter losses). If these efficiencies are close then the thinner mash will cause you to loose efficiency into the kettle. In the cases where brewers report an increase in efficiency into the kettle when going to a thin mash the rise of the conversion efficiency (amount of starches converted) outweighed the increased loss of extract in the lauter.

As a result I'm not saying that a thinner mash will always increase efficiency. The better your efficiency already is, the less likely the chance that a thin mash is going to increase it.

Kai
Kai, agreed. I just wanted to pose a lone dissenting voice so that everyone doesn't think it's a fix-all. I'm pretty sure my crush is so fine that the enzymes have an orgy at minute #1.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 02-19-2009, 01:10 PM   #40
menschmaschine
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts

I need to reconfirm, but I've been playing with water:grain ratios and lost about 5% (brewhouse) as well (93 to 88). On my latest brew, I went back with 1.25 qts and was back up at 93%. Obviously other factors could have been in play and I did do a 90 min. mash, but I didn't change anything else.

I may be brewing again this weekend (if my package arrives in time), so I'll go with 1.75qts and see what happens.

END TRANSMISSION

Quick Reply