The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2nd runnings = Second beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
bacchusmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Default 2nd runnings = Second beer

So I just recently switched from doing extract and partial mash to a 10 gallon all grain setup. after my first AG batch I thought maybe I might start doing two batches out of each mash.

If I do a bigger beer (1.060+) I can usually get my boil volume and then do a second batch sparge that results in a 1.030ish wort of about 3 gallons. I know traditionally British brewers would commonly use a second set of runnings in their Barleywines and Stouts to brew Milds and low gravity browns.

So am I crazy to think I could pull my first batch and then take a second set of runnings for a small-batch, small beer? Ive got all the goods to do 3 gallon batches. Im thinking about doing a barleywine in a couple weeks and might grab some extra hops for a mild.

Any advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2012, 11:29 PM   #2
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

People do that all the time. It's called partigyle. Search on it and I'm sure you'll find lots of good tips.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Vernacular
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I wouldn't swear to which it is... but one of the commercial "Craft" breweries does it. It was talked about on their website. I have done it for a friend of mine that has complained that one of my brews makes her want to sleep the rest of the day... no, no, no.... don't even go their. Anyways it's done more than we know. Fair tasting... very low ABV.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
bacchusmj
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomebrewMTB View Post
People do that all the time. It's called partigyle. Search on it and I'm sure you'll find lots of good tips.
After about 2 mins of searching google I found all I needed. I had no idea that the Belgian Triple, Double etc is simply the running number. Looks like I have a new goal this brewing season.

Thanks Man.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #5
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchusmj View Post
After about 2 mins of searching google I found all I needed. I had no idea that the Belgian Triple, Double etc is simply the running number. Looks like I have a new goal this brewing season.

Thanks Man.
I don't think that's true, being as trippels are stronger than dubbels...

Edit: Nevermind I found the link referring to that. I'm still not sure it's true.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Hanglow
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can blend some of the first/second/third/fourth worts into one/two/three beers etc which is what British breweries have long done at least. Usually the weaker beer, if you were to do two, would contain some of the stronger wort

Old 12-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
d_striker
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
I don't think that's true, being as trippels are stronger than dubbels...

Edit: Nevermind I found the link referring to that. I'm still not sure it's true.
I'm still skeptical as well.

Old 12-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #8
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernacular View Post
I wouldn't swear to which it is... but one of the commercial "Craft" breweries does it.
Anchor makes Small Beer from the second runnings of Old Foghorn.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
royal1911
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks for the idea! I can't wait to do some research and try this out.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #10
HungerJack
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Belgian Dubbels have a lower ABV than Tripels, but the SRM's are different. Dubbels are darker than Tripels. So basically you couldn't party-gyle a Tripel into a Dubbel.

Quick Reply