Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2nd BIAB Brew - 86% efficiency

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Sanspareil
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 2nd BIAB Brew - 86% efficiency

OK, that's the good news, but it put my OG at 1.07 instead of ~1.05. I used 1 pack of Safeale 05 dry yeast. Should I add another package. Worried about underpitching. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you aerate your wort? If you did, you'll be fine. Unless you're doing a 10 gallon batch.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 10-26-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Fletch78
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Make sure to post back with finished results. I've read about BIAB and other methods where really high efficiency almost always correlates with tannin extraction as well. I'm not trying to poop in your cheerios... I'm just interested in hearing how this turns out.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Sanspareil
Recipes 

I did aerate, it is just a five gallon batch, and it did take a bit longer to start to ferment, so I hope they were happy propagating yeasties.

As far as efficiency goes, my first BIAB was 79% and it was spectacular. (different grain bill, but I'm expecting this one to fine as well)

I will let you know in a few weeks.

Thanks for your responses.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #5
Nateo
Recipes 

Apparently I do BIAB too, I just didn't know it was called that. My efficiencies are usually in the high 80s, and I've never had major tannin issues, not that I'd notice a low-level tannin problem.

The main factors influencing tannin production are temp and pH: temps over 170 and pH over 6. That said, I regularly do decoction mashes where a portion of the grains get to about 200F without any noticeable astringency.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

Old 10-26-2010, 11:57 PM   #6
Sanspareil
Recipes 

Exactly, BIAB gets a lot of misinformation attached to it.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #7
jaginger
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Apparently I do BIAB too, I just didn't know it was called that. My efficiencies are usually in the high 80s, and I've never had major tannin issues, not that I'd notice a low-level tannin problem.

The main factors influencing tannin production are temp and pH: temps over 170 and pH over 6. That said, I regularly do decoction mashes where a portion of the grains get to about 200F without any noticeable astringency.
Does it take an extended time over 170 to get tannins? I did a mashout and hit about 180 for 5 minutes or so. Is that long enough to get tannins or should it be fine?

Old 10-27-2010, 04:14 AM   #8
Nateo
Recipes 

There are a lot of bogeymen in the homebrew world. Yeast Autolysis, DMS, tannins, you name it. I've heard a lot of "don't do ____ or you'll ruin your beer." In practice, I've never found that to be true. Beer is incredibly plastic and it takes a lot of mess-ups to actually make something "bad."

I've made beers that weren't great, but I've only had one batch that was undrinkably bad. Most of the time you'll end up making something at least better than PBR.

My German great-grandparents made beer in their washbasin on their farm in Kansas. They probably didn't know or care about tannins.

Old 10-27-2010, 06:58 PM   #9
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
There are a lot of bogeymen in the homebrew world. Yeast Autolysis, DMS, tannins, you name it. I've heard a lot of "don't do ____ or you'll ruin your beer." In practice, I've never found that to be true. Beer is incredibly plastic and it takes a lot of mess-ups to actually make something "bad."

I've made beers that weren't great, but I've only had one batch that was undrinkably bad. Most of the time you'll end up making something at least better than PBR.

My German great-grandparents made beer in their washbasin on their farm in Kansas. They probably didn't know or care about tannins.
"Beer is incredibly plastic"?? I do not know what kind of beer you make, but Plastic is definately not a flavor I am going for.

I do BIAB too, the only time I had astringency was when I was sparging too hot. I find that 165 is the sweet spot for me, I always get 80-86% with that sparge, and I only sparge/mashout for 10 mins.

And I do squeeze the grain bag like it contains the last drink of water on earth.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #10
Nateo
Recipes 

Get a dictionary, dude. Plastic means pliable. Beer will tolerate a lot of abuse and still come out decently.

Quick Reply