Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2nd All-grain.... yes more lessons

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2009, 03:08 AM   #1
Jaeger48
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 2nd All-grain.... yes more lessons

So I was going to post about how I pre-heated my mash tun significantly better this time over my first but decided to go a little high with my strike water because I had plenty of grain in this recipe. I dropped in my thermometer and had a good 152 mash. I checked back 10 minutes later to give a light stir and pulled out my thermometer. It tapped the side of the tun jumped to just over 160. I added cold water to bring it back down, stirred, and then nailed my temp.

Damage done, I'm sure it ****ed my enzymes because my SG was 1.048 rather than the 1.068 I would have gotten. I was just at 50% attenuation and feeling pissed off when I decided to relax and instead of hopping and pitching like the Oktoberfast recipe (I was planning on a helles but with s-05 at lower temps) I'm going to hop it like an easy drinking APA. It'll have more biscuity munich characteristic than normal but it should still be ok.

Next batch I'll know to only do the pre-heat and not the overshoot.

RDWHAHB

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-30-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

If my strike temp is 160, I heat my strike water to 170-175, then let it heat the tun and cool to 160, THEN I mash in. Works every time, the temps are perfect the first time every time.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
XCWill
Recipes 

I will be doing my first AG recipe next weekend...I just finished my mash tun and immersion cooler this past weekend, and I was wondering about pre-heating my mash tun. The Pol said to heat the strike water to 170-175, THEN mash in, but I've always heard to add water to grain, not the other way around. Please clarify for peace of mind's sake! Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

How long was the mash at 160F?

A 160 mash temp will not effect your OG. It will effect your attenuation (fermentation) as it will be really high in unfermentables. (big body).

Can you further explain your AG precess? Fly or batch sparge? Sparge temp? If fly sparging, the time you take to sparge. etc? Was the SG reading post boil?

Also, just to make sure. What temp was the wort when you took that SG reading? Even when compensating for temperature when taking your SG. Hydrometers are less accurate at very high temps. Best to let the sample cool down first for more accuracy.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #5
Jaeger48
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like grain to water because you can measure the water in the tun.

I don't necessarily agree with the 170 to 175 strike water because it will also depend on the amount of grain you're using. I'm not saying Pol is wrong but what works in his system might not work in yours and mine.

The mash temp should effect my extraction and efficiency. The high temp was there for about 5-10 minutes. If it had been low then I wouldn't be as worried because I would have treated it as a step mash.

I added 3.5 gallons of 180 water to my tun and heated it for 1/2 an hour then added fresh water that was in the 175-180 range. I doughed in my grain and stirred it thoroughly to avoid any balling. I took a temp (thermometer is now known to be less than accurate) and it said low 150 which was around my target temp. It's a probe thermometer that I had sitting near a corner so it wouldn't fall. I went back and stirred it after about 15 minutes and then took temps in the corner and the middle of the mash when I saw it was in the 160 range.

I stirred in cold water until I was down to the 150 range in multiple areas.

I took my hydro reading at 135 degrees and it measured 1.035 (pre-boil gravity) which adjusted to ~ 1.048 in Beersmith. My final gravity read 1.048-1.050 at 68 degrees when I pitched.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

Mash temp will not effct you original gravity as long as it's in range of either beta ro alpha amylase. It will affect fermntibilty not extraction. There has to be part of you sparge process that needs work or check your crush.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Mashing Defined

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM   #7
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Must be something about being a Denny.....I reference that chart all the time!

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 03-31-2009, 04:41 AM   #8
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger48 View Post
I like grain to water because you can measure the water in the tun.

I don't necessarily agree with the 170 to 175 strike water because it will also depend on the amount of grain you're using. I'm not saying Pol is wrong but what works in his system might not work in yours and mine.
The mash temp should effect my extraction and efficiency. The high temp was there for about 5-10 minutes. If it had been low then I wouldn't be as worried because I would have treated it as a step mash.

I added 3.5 gallons of 180 water to my tun and heated it for 1/2 an hour then added fresh water that was in the 175-180 range. I doughed in my grain and stirred it thoroughly to avoid any balling. I took a temp (thermometer is now known to be less than accurate) and it said low 150 which was around my target temp. It's a probe thermometer that I had sitting near a corner so it wouldn't fall. I went back and stirred it after about 15 minutes and then took temps in the corner and the middle of the mash when I saw it was in the 160 range.

I stirred in cold water until I was down to the 150 range in multiple areas.

I took my hydro reading at 135 degrees and it measured 1.035 (pre-boil gravity) which adjusted to ~ 1.048 in Beersmith. My final gravity read 1.048-1.050 at 68 degrees when I pitched.

My process has nothing to do with the ammount of grain you are using, or the type of equipment. All that I do is introduce my strike water hotter than needed, let it sit until it reaches the correct strike temp, then mash in. How does the ammount of grain have anything to do with this? This way my MLT is the same temp as my strike water, instead of soaking up heat from it when I mash in.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 AM   #9
The Pol
Recipes 

Denny is right too, your mash temp will not affect conversion as long as you are in the beta or alpha range, which you say that you were. Granted you may get very unfermentable sugars, but you WILL get the sugars.

Crush, mash water volume (qts/lb), and lautering practices will greatly affect your efficiency. If you were at 160F, you didn't hurt your conversion efficiency with temp.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
XCWill
Recipes 

Pol, I can tell you based on observation that your grain has a great deal of thermal mass. I.e. if you added 10 gal of water to 10lbs of grain you would not see as appreciable of a drop in temperature as if you added 5 gal of water to the same weight of grain. It requires a specific amount of energy in the form of heat to raise any substance of any mass any number of degrees Fahrenheit. This may not really affect your brewing if you are brewing lighter beers with smaller grain bills, but it is still a factor in hitting your mash temp.

Quick Reply