2nd All Grain - Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
Completed my second all grain this afternoon using Edwort's Haus Pale Ale recipe. For the most part everything went really well with only one glaring screw-up. In past brews I have lost quite a bit of wort to evaporation so this time I collected 8.5 gallons of wort for boil in hopes of hitting 5.5 gallons at the end of the boil. After the boil and filling my fermenter I had roughly 1.4 gallons left in the pot, which means I lost about 1.6 gallons to evaporation. Unfortunately my OG was 1.037 and I'm not quite sure what the finished product will taste like. I'm guessing kind of watery and hoppy, but don't really know. I think that in future brews I will have a better handle on the process and a better chance of hitting my gravity numbers.

I saved the remaining 1.4 gallons of wort and am trying to figure out what to do with it. The only thing I can think to do is mix it with a can of John Bull hopped LME that was given to me by a friend who isn't going to use it. Any other ideas?

I try and figure that I will evaporate 1.25 gallons of water per hour of boiling with my equipment. So with this recipe I would want to boil 6.75 gallons of wort for 1 hour to get a target volume of 5.5 gallons.

Just kegged this one up last night and set the CO2 to 10 pounds. About how long is it going to take to get this carbonated? I have it sitting in a refrigerator set at about 38 degrees.

It'll take about a week to get it fully carbed and it'll be real tasty. That is a great pale ale recipe.

Not everyones boil off is the same. I usually go between 2.5 to 3 gallons in an hour on a 5.5 gallon batch. The trick is to dial in your numbers.

Just kegged this one up last night and set the CO2 to 10 pounds. About how long is it going to take to get this carbonated? I have it sitting in a refrigerator set at about 38 degrees.

It will take a long time at 10 psi. I would set it at 30psi (I don't shake) for 2 days, then back it off to 10-12psi, it should be good to go in 4 days or so. Unless it needs conditioning time, then it can sit at a lower psi indefinitely.

I tasted this today to see how it was coming along. I did up the psi to 30 a couple of days ago and have shaken the keg once each day. It did have a good amount of co2 and should be fully carbbed by Saturday.

The beer looks great; nice head and brilliant color. Flavor isn't too bad considering my OG was 1.037, so it's a little thin and unbalanced with a pronounced hop flavor. I can't wait to brew this again and hit the numbers to see how this should really taste.

Mine's been in bottles for three weeks and I was wondering if it's suppossed to have a somewhat "fruity" taste. Might still be green though.

Mine's been in bottles for three weeks and I was wondering if it's suppossed to have a somewhat "fruity" taste. Might still be green though.

No, it is not supposed to be fruity. It is a dry beer if you use Nottingham yeast. Fruity esters will come from too warm fermentation temps though.

Yes, I did use Nottingham. I kept telling my girlfriend to turn the heat down. Is there any chance an estery taste will fade as the beer ages?

I would think some long-term fridge bottle conditioning would have a lagering-like effect, which might reduce the fruity taste a little bit. Probably stuck with fruity flavors, though.

How is the bitterness on it? I just brewed a 1/2 size of this recipe, but my efficiency was in the 65% area and I didn't adjust the hop amounts accordingly. I'd have no complaints with a strong hop flavor, but I was a bit worried about the bitternes... oh well, just 2 gallons if it's bad anyway.

I tasted this today to see how it was coming along. I did up the psi to 30 a couple of days ago and have shaken the keg once each day. It did have a good amount of co2 and should be fully carbbed by Saturday.

The beer looks great; nice head and brilliant color. Flavor isn't too bad considering my OG was 1.037, so it's a little thin and unbalanced with a pronounced hop flavor. I can't wait to brew this again and hit the numbers to see how this should really taste.

Drank more of this over the weekend and I'm just not sure. There is virtually no malt flavor at all, mostly tastes like hopped water. As much as I hate to say it this one may be heading for the drain. This was brewed on January 4 and I doubt it is going to get much better.

Back