Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 2nd all grain batch - need advice again :D

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
dummkauf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default 2nd all grain batch - need advice again :D

Brewing a wheat beer, converted my extract recipe to to all grain, see this thread for more info on the recipe: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/whea...-grain-187589/

The question I have is my OG seems a bit low. I have 6 gallons of Wort, and I am at an OG of 1.032, where BeerSmith predicted 1.056. There is still 1Lbs of honey to be added to this recipe which should bring me up a little but I don't think it will get me to 1.056. I have some wheat extract left over from the last time I brewed this, but I am not sure how much I should add to get me OG up?

Suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
dummkauf
Recipes 

Playing with beersmith, if I am doing this right, it looks like I would need 2 lbs of extract.

If I remove the honey from the recipe it drops the estimated OG by .006 points. I then had an estimated OG of 1.050, so I subracted 1.032 from that, which gave me a difference of 1.018. I then added Extract until the estimated gravity was up .018 points to 1.068. I then added back my honey to the recipe which shot it up another 006 points, but if I am doing this right, 2 pounds of wheat extract should get me to where I need to be right?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 PM   #3
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Is 1.056 the predicted pre or post boil gravity?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
dummkauf
Recipes 

That's the "Original Gravity Estimate" which I believe is post boil?

or could I be right on the money and my boil off will bring me up closer to 1.056, 2 pounds seems like a lot of extract. If honey brings me up 006 points, that would put me closer to 1.38, would boil off really bring me up to 1.056?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I'm not familiar with Beer Smith. So, someone else may be able to tell you. I've seen post boil gravity referred to as both OG and SG (Starting Gravity). I have also seen OG used before to refer to a pre-boil gravity.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
dummkauf
Recipes 

Well I would assume that is post because it only gives me 1 original gravity estimate and that's the same estimate whether I'm doing extract or all grain recipes.

If that were the post boil gravity, would I be good or should I be adding some DME to the mix?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

I guess to further clarify, are you saying you have six gallons of boiled wort sitting in front of you at 1.032?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:37 PM   #8
dummkauf
Recipes 

No, the wort hasn't boiled yet. It just came out of the mash and is sitting in the BK ready to boil. I took a gravity reading(preboil) and it's at 1.032.

Last edited by dummkauf; 07-23-2010 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Miss read your post

Old 07-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
shecky
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3504 Times on 3395 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think you're a little off on pre-boil gravity but not far. Your boil will bring you closer to the 1.056, which I would assume is post-boil.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shecky View Post
I think you're a little off on pre-boil gravity but not far. Your boil will bring you closer to the 1.056, which I would assume is post-boil.
Right, if you haven't boiled yet, or added the honey, then 1.032 may be pretty close to where you should be right now. I think you're fine.

Quick Reply