Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 24 hours between Mash and Boil?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
pavyaz19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default 24 hours between Mash and Boil?

My friend and I like to do marathon brew days where we brew 3 batches in a row (maybe that's the norm for the rest of you?). We have 2 brew kettles but only one mash tun. Of course we could get a second mash tun or do an extract brew in between, but for the short term, we're thinking of mashing all of it one day and then boiling the next.

Should there be any fear in letting the wort sit for 24 hours before boiling?

So far, I can't think of a reason.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

if you search the forum, you will find lots of threads about a delayed boil. i've personally never gone 24 hours, but i suspect that you could. i also suspect you will get a lot of people pipe up and say "DON'T DO IT!" even though they haven't tried it themselves. i've gone 8-12 hours with no problems.

If you want to give it a shot, you increase your chances of pulling it off if you simply: 1. Heat up your wort to 170-180F to kill of lacto and other potential bugs. 2. Keep it covered to maintain sanitation.

let us know how it works out.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:15 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Start with the similar threads below, and also look for the overnight mashing threads.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
pavyaz19
Recipes 

Thanks for the help, not sure what we'll end up doing. I always search the forums before posting, in the case however, I had no idea what terms to search. The similar threads below make me feel like a moron, sorry.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2350 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

I would just do all three in one day. Once you have the first batch in the kettle, start the mash for the second. The boil and mash are just about the same time. If you start early enough, there should be plenty of daylight to brew 3 batches.

Homer's Brew Log

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Adam78K
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If I'm not mistaken, it will almost convert it to a sour mash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

On Deck Ryed Up Kolsch

Old 05-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2768 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam78K View Post
If I'm not mistaken, it will almost convert it to a sour mash. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Not if the temps are held it wont. Most of the 24 hour mashers i know wrap their cooler in sleeping blankets or even electric blankets, or set it near a warm source like a furnace.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply