Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 21st B-Day Brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #11
z987k
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mead, and a big one at that. Look at beers/mead with a gravity in excess of 1.150.
1.085 is a tiny beer to even consider aging 21 years.
Can we say cardboard?

Maybe if you can bottle in an oxygen free room.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
artyboy
Recipes 

I made a dandelion wine for my newphew the year he was born. He's two and I still haven't even cracked a bottle. I have no idea how it'll turn out since I'd only made a couple of wines at that point and it was my first attempt at anything like a dandelion wine. Wine is easier to make than beer. Waiting is the hard part if you're a wine drinker. I'm not so I don't even sweat waiting a year before I even start cracking open bottles from my last batch. I give most of it away. Just sayin since it'll probably be a lot easier for you not to touch for 21 years and it'll be a lot more likely to be drinkable. Beer is too easy to screw up if you plan on aging it for that long.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 AM   #13
schreck
Recipes 

i was worried about a 1.085 og beer too, but im not sure what his current set up allows. Youd need a BIGGGG beer. Barley wine or something close to 12-20%?

shoot an email to some of the belgian breweries... maybe brewery ommegang, im sure one of their brewers will give you some sort of advice as to the correlation between OG and Aging time.

Mead or wine just seems easier... but im sure this could still be done.

You could always brew a 21% imperial/barleywine with him on his 18th birthday to age for 3 years! .... or something like that.

Quick Reply