Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > 21-years of aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 07:45 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default 21-years of aging?

So my second child, but first son is going to be born sometime in the next 7 days or so. I'd really like to brew something that will age well, really well. I want to name it something like First Born Son, 21 year ______. I'm thinking the only thing that might work is a mead or maybe a barleywine. Would anything taste decent after aging 21 years?

I thought I heard of some folks doing this before... can't find the threads.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Cheesefood
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts

First off, CONGRATS!!! Welcome to the club.

Here's one thing to consider: where will you age it?

My dad went out and bought bottles of wine when my sister and I were born, and he kept them for about 20 years (I ended up drinking them one night, not realizing the significance. Big debacle.) They were horrible. Over 20 years of climate shifts, light exposure and other unstable conditions.

If you want to age something, buy a nice bottle of wine that's meant to age and rent some cellar space in a professional facility. Otherwise you'll end up with a crappy product that will disappoint.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:51 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 385 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 105

Congratulations, Bobby!

Vermicious is making a 21-year mead, IIRC. That's the direction that I would probably go - I'd have a lot more confidence that the mead would hold up than any type of beer. Be real nice, if he gets married, to be able to crack a bottle of mead that you made when he was born.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #4
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Hrmm, yeah Barleywine...Mead...good candidates. Whatever it is (if not making Mead), I'd suggest it be of quite a significant strength, loads of hops (even consider buying some debittered and just go nuts) and look into either the Belgian (large) bottles with a cork, or maybe oxygen barrier caps if you can't do the big bottle/cork.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 87 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd go for the still straight mead. I don't think a fruit flavor will hold up that long.

I have a bottle of mead that's 12-13 years old now. I wonder for what occasion I'll be opening that one?

I've never had a barleywine that I'd ask for a refill (Thank God they were small cups). Just not my "mug of brew" (cup of tea).

Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #6
Brewer3401

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I still have some bottles of barley wine we did as a benefit at ZEA's in Metairie, La. about 4 years ago.
Last time I tried, 3 months ago, it had gotten really smooth.
ABV is a tad over 13% from what I remember.
Better get a poop load of dme unless you have a huge mash tun. Or, you could batch sparge 3+ times with 2.00 gal/# and use new grist for 3 times - expensive though.

Fermenter: Blonde Ale
Brite tank: -0-
Kegged: -0-

Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 PM   #7
zoebisch01

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesefood

If you want to age something, buy a nice bottle of wine that's meant to age and rent some cellar space in a professional facility. Otherwise you'll end up with a crappy product that will disappoint.

That is a very good consideration.

Brew what you like. Do this, and you will find your inner brewer.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1043 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I straight up haven't even tasted a barley wine, but I'm not much into big beers anyway. The project is certainly a little more of a sentimental gesture moreso than creating a wonderful drinking stash. I bet my (now 2.5 years old) daughter is going to kick my ass when she finds out I didn't have the forethought to do something cool like that for her.

I've got a 48qt MLT and I'd only be doing a two gallon batch so I don't think it would be a problem. I'd probably sparge a while then boil it down for 2 hours.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #9
Cheesefood
Recipes 

He kept it in a wine rack in the kitchen. 20+ years of temperature shifts. Think about how many times your go on vacation for a week and turn off the AC in the summer time. Or power outages that last for a significant period of time. Or lights turning on and off. Or doors opening in the winter, windows being left open, humidity changes, etc etc. Unless your house has a wine cellar, you'll ruin your wine in a few years.

Plus, no one turned the bottles at the appropriate intervals. My sister and I played with the bottles when we were kids.

I too would go for a mead. Beer isn't meant to age that long.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Cool Shirts.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
I straight up haven't even tasted a barley wine, but I'm not much into big beers anyway. The project is certainly a little more of a sentimental gesture moreso than creating a wonderful drinking stash. I bet my (now 2.5 years old) daughter is going to kick my ass when she finds out I didn't have the forethought to do something cool like that for her.
You can run out and buy at 2004 wine.

Cool Shirts.

Quick Reply